Sunday, July 22, 2012

Home-made high tea on a Saturday evening

Yesterday a friend and I decided to treat ourselves to a home-made high tea, after getting some inspiration from a post at the Travelettes site, which is currently one of our favourites blogs. So, we prepared some fresh cucumber and celery sandwiches, got some strawberries and indulged in some already baked fruit cake and poffertjes (Dutch mini pancakes, which were a good alternative to scones). Finally we boiled some water and enjoyed all this delicious food with some cups of fruit-scented green tea. That was the result!


What more could a girl wish for? Well, maybe for a real English high tea in England. I was totally delighted at the thought of being doing something so tipically British as enjoying a cucumber sandwich with a cup of tea, but it left me craving for more. And being as obesessed as I am with everything related to the UK (and specially with London) I just had to add a new to do to my London's to do list. 

English was always my favourite subject at school and ever since I can remember I always had a penchant for all anglophone cultures. I actually remember when it started! I was just 8 years old and I received a two small guides of London and New York as a Christmas present. What an amazing present! I spent so many hours looking at their many pictures (now totally outdated) and learning all the touristic sites by heart, that I could not wait to actually go there. But back then all I could do was grab some monopoly money and pretend that the living-room was Trafalgar Square and my bedroom a room in any fancy five-stars hotel. Now, many years later I still have not been to New York but I have been four times in London and it is never enough! I love London! There's something very special about it, about its atmosphere. The best way I could describe it is as being home to everyone:it does not matter where you come from or which language you speak, you will always feel welcome and feel familiar to the city, even if you have never been there before.


The four times I have been in London I have visited many of its most important museums (the British Museum, the National Gallery, the Tate Gallery and Tate Modern, the Victoria & Albert Museum, the Natural History and Science Museums), I have walked along the most known London streets and spent some time in its most iconic departments stores (Harrods, Selfridges, Liberty's), I have relaxed in Hyde Park, seen the changing of the guard at Buckingham Palace and been to Greenwich. But still, there's always something new in London, some place I want to go back to, or something I have not done yet. So this is my little list of things I still have to do in London.

LONDON's to do list

  • Having a traditional high tea in London: as I said earlier, if there's something better than enjoying a home-made high tea with a friend it must be enjoying a traditional high tea in London with a friend.
  • Going back to the British Museum: I was just 13 the first time I went to London and my parents took us to the British Museum, which is a huge building full of treasures expoliated by the British all over centuries. I was too young and it was too little time to appreciate it, so it is still on top of my list!
  • Taking a look at London from the London Eye: this amazing wheel is also on top of my list, so next time I won't mind the queues or the price, I want to step inside and enjoy the ride and the views.
  • Enjoying London in the summer: I have always been to London in the winter or ealy spring, which means short, dark and usually rainy days. I am looking forward to discover the city on a sunny long day, eve if it still rains
  • Indulging in some retail therapy: the British high street is something wonderful! Edgy, stylish, beautiful, there's a bit of everything and prices are relatively cheap. I really have to spend some time in Topshop´s flagship store in Oxford Circus.
  • Eating a warm meal in a traditional English pub: just because!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!
I appreaciate your love and reactions.
I'll take a look at your blogs and I'll try to reply as soon as possible
Feel free to follow if you like :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...