Wednesday, July 4, 2012

My travel history (so far)

I have always loved travelling and I have been lucky enough to travel quite a lot since a was a little child. However, I've never been outside Europe and I still have a long list of places I would like to visit some day. But until then, I'll keep on enjoying every little trip and taking every chance on traveling. So I decided to compile a list with all the countries I've been to and the cities I've visited. Hope I still remember most of it!

  • Spain: I was born in Tenerife and as my family comes from the mainland I have been travelling to and fro regularly. The first time I got on a plane I was just two months old, my parents took me to spend my first Christmas in Malaga. I have been to many towns in the province of Malaga and I've also visited Cordoba, Granada, Madrid, Toledo and Zaragoza, as well as some other towns in Guadalajara and Aragon, including Milmarcos, the village where I spent my holidays with my grandparents as a child. Back to the Canary Islands, I've seen most of Tenerife and I've also been to Gran Canaria, La Gomera and Fuerteventura.
Santa Cruz de Tenerife

  • 1998: that's the year I went abroad for the first time and I love it!I went to London in February with my parents, my brother and my grandparents. In the summer I went to Madeira with my parents.
  • March 2001: I went to Paris and Disneyland on a school trip and it was amazing! I travelled with my school friends for the first (and only) time and I finally got to visit the city that had been on top of my list for almost 10 years!
  • December 2002 and December 2006: I went back to London with my parents and my little brother. I visited Greenwich during the 2006 trip.
  • August 2007 - June 2008: I lived in Antwerp!!! I was living abroad for the first time, even if it was just as erasmus student, and I truly loved it!!! Antwerp wasn't my first choice and I had never considered living in Belgium but I don't regret it at all. It was an amazing year, I met a lot of nice people and I did many day trips, getting to know a big part of western Europe. Here's a list of places I visited: Belgium: Antwerp, Brussels, Bruges, Ostende, Ghent, Lier, Mechelen; The Netherlands: Bergen op Zoom and Amsterdam; France: Paris and Lille; UK: London (again!); Czech Republic: Prague, Karlstein; Germany: Koln and Bonn; Luxembourg City (Luxembourg).
Antwerp Belgium

  • August 2008: I went back to Belgium and The Netherlands to visit some friends. The trip was Antwerp - Brussels - Amsterdam - The Hague - Antwerp.
  • November 2008: Madrid with my erasmus best friend.
  • April 2009: back to Antwerp -Amsterdam. This time I took some time to explore the northern part of The Netherlands: Leeuwarden, Hindeloopen, IJselmeer and Groningen.
  • August 2009: Italy! This one had never been on my list of countries to visit but a cousin of mine was doing her erasmus there so I took the chance to go there and enjoy some terribly hot weather. Surprisingly, I wasn't disappointed at all and I fell in love with the Colosseum in Rome. I also visited Milan, Siena, Pisa and Florence. The highlight of the trip was a flight ticket Milan- Florence for just 0.99€
  • September 2009: The Netherlands, once again! Nimega and Maastricht were the new places this time.
  • March 2010: Back to school and back to Antwerp! Another exchange programme took me to Antwerp. I enjoyed my beloved Antwerp and I visited Ostende, Ghent and Bruges again. Leuven was a new Belgian city to get to know this time.
  • April 2010: I stayed in Brussels for the first time, despite having been there 6 or 7 times before, but always for a day trip. I was busy getting to know the European district and I visited the Atomium for the first time.
  • June 2010: love took me to Switzerland. Based in Basel, I also visited Interlaken, Zurich, Bern and Lucerne.
  • August 2010: I made a road trip from Zaragoza to the French Pyrinees. Zaragoza, Jaca, Barbastro and Pau (France) were on the itinerary.
  • September 2010 - December 2010: I lived in Switzerland and I tried to make the most of my time there travelling around. Trips include: Zurich, Schaffhausen and Rheinfell, Geneva, Zermatt, Sion and Leukerbad (all in Switzerland), Lichtenstein (the whole country in just 4 hours!), Heidelberg and Freiburg in Germany and Strasbourg in France.
Basel Switzerland

  • New Years Eve 2011: I flew to Edinburgh to celebrate what the Scots call Hogmanay.
  • March 2011: Back to Switzerland to enjoy some nice days in Basel.
  • July 2011: once again I'm back in The Netherlands to do a language course for the first time in my live. I spent three weeks in a hotel in Zeist, all inclusive (lessons and homework too). The course included some trips around the country: Rotterdam, The Hague, Amsterdam and the Kroner-Müller museum at the Hoge Veluwe national park. After the course I spent some days in Amsterdam visiting a friend and I visited some other towns in North Holland: Haarlem, Bloemendal aan Zee, Edam and Volendam.
  • September 2011 - now: I have been living in Maastricht ever since and even though it might seem like a logical step after so many trips to The Netherlands, I had never thought that I might end up here. However, I love Maastricht and I've had a great year here. I haven't travelled as much as I would have liked to, but still I've been to some new places: Spa, Liege and Charleroi in Belgium, Den Bosch and Valkenburg in The Netherlands and Aachen in Germany. 
Maastricht the Netherlands

So, that's all so far but I really hope to keep going and to discover many other wonderful places in Europe and even further. And everything that happens from now on will (hopefully) be found on this blog :)

UPDATE April 2013: After almost two years in Maastricht I've kept on traveling and daytripping quite a lot but mostly to places I already knew. So, the only new places to add to this list are Zandvoort aan Zee, Tilburg, Eindhoven and Heerlen, all of them in The Netherlands.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!
I appreaciate your love and reactions.
I'll take a look at your blogs and I'll try to reply as soon as possible
Feel free to follow if you like :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...