Sunday, August 26, 2012

A year in Maastricht

Yesterday I arrived back from Tenerife and after being awake since 3 a.m. I couldn't wait to get to have a rest in my appartment in Maastricht, the place I currently call home. I relocated to Maastricht exactly a year ago and just like yesterday, the typical Dutch rain greeted us. However, it didn't rain for a long time and a wonderful year began in this tiny and charming city. I found a job quickly and I made a great best friend in town. My Dutch improved and now I am (almost) totally fluent in Dutch, I finally got used to watch TV in English and now I understand even the trickiest film conversations without subtitles (ok, more or less) and I've read an amazing amount of magazines in German and even some German books! Despite my appartment lacking an oven, my cooking skills have also improved and now I can even prepare some traditional Dutch dishes. I have developed an ever-growing love for the Albert Heijn supermarkets and for some of the not so traditional Dutch food (bread with peanut butter and chocolate strands, anyone?) And I've travelled around the country a bit more discovering some places I had never been before to like Den Bosch, Valkenburg, Zandvoort aan Zee, Tilburg or Eindhoven.

These are some of those great moments in pictures!


Autumn 2011 was mild and incredibly sunny in Maastricht, it didn't rain for weeks  and the city was painted  in a  hundred beautiful shades of red, orange and yellow.


Christmas markets and lights all over the city announced the beginning of the winter.


Temperatures dropped down in January and it started snowing. My nose and ears hurt when I was outside for more than 10 minutes.


Just as the spring began, the sun showed up again and it hasn't stopped shining ever since!



I dared to cook some chicken satay, now a traditional Dutch dish originally from Indonesia. And I also warmed up in the winter with some home-made mashed potatoes with smoked sausage, a simple but delicious Dutch meal.


I polished my cooking skills to be able to celebrate birthdays without baked cakes.

Utrecht
Rotterdam
And I kept travelling!

It has been a great year and now I'm about to start a second year in Maastricht, which I hope will be as good as the previous one, even if things have changed a bit now as I am back to the student life, so I'll have to work really hard and I don't think I'll have that much time to travel. But still, I'm looking forward to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!
I appreaciate your love and reactions.
I'll take a look at your blogs and I'll try to reply as soon as possible
Feel free to follow if you like :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...