Monday, October 8, 2012

Impressions of Brussels

This morning I arrived back in Maastricht after having spent a very nice weekend in Brussels. Many people dislike Brussels because it is a rather chaotic city and is usually quite dirty, even having some stinky alleys right in the middle of the city center. But despite these unattractive features I really like the Belgian capital. I fell in love with it since the first time I visited five years ago and where people see chaos, contradiction or ugliness I just see the irreverence and dichotomy that somehow define Belgium. After all, Belgium is an artificial country  with three very differenciated parts and three different language groups that totally isolate from each other while keeping the country going all together, even in the long recurrent periods without government.

Being back in Belgium was great! Ever since I stpped out of the train I felt at home and I really enjoyed wandering along the many streets I already knew, letting go without the possibility of getting lost and taking notice of new stores or cafés waiting to be discovered. All of a sudden I also realized all the Belgian things I had been missing without even knowing: the famous and tasty frites, the delicious Liege waffles, the craziness of hearing so many different languages at the same time, including the soft accent Belgians have when speaking Dutch (even if that's not common to hear in Brussels), the Delhaize, once my fave supermarket, and the list goes on! I also noticed the little things I hadn't missed that much: the filthy streets and the never-stopping Belgian rain. But still, the sun was shining brightly on Sunday and I could enjoy a wonderful walk to the city center and take some pictures on the way. 






This time I just stuck to my known and beloved spots in the city center, as I didn't have that much free time but next time I'll try to be more adventurous and discover some new favourite places in Brussels, so hopefully in the last weekend of October I'll take some more photos. But until then, I'll write some other posts about Brussel's icons.

Bye, bye Brussels, see you next time!

6 comments:

  1. I'd love to visit Brussels one day. Thanks for sharing your experience!

    Follow my blog on Bloglovin'. Let me know in the comments and I will follow back ;)

    LA By Diana Live Magazine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment!
      Good to hear you'd like to visit Brussels :)
      I'd also love to visit LA and California one day, so it's always nice to see beautiful photos of all those places like the ones on your blog!

      Delete
  2. Incredible photos! I have never been here but it certainly looks lovely!

    xoxo Bree
    The Urban Umbrella

    http://www.theurbanumbrella.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Bree! It is somehow lovely among all the rain and chaos!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was in Brussels some years ago but I wasn't that impressed although I enjoyed a lot your beautiful pics I may should give the city a second opportunity.
    Kisses
    City-aholic.blogspot.com.es

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment Miss Laia!
      You're not the only one Brussels failed to impress, actually most people I know who've been there dislike the city. But I'm glad to read that you may give it a second chance thanks to my photos :)
      x

      Delete

Thanks for your comments!
I appreaciate your love and reactions.
I'll take a look at your blogs and I'll try to reply as soon as possible
Feel free to follow if you like :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...