Thursday, November 15, 2012

Dreaming of Switzerland


I am very happy because I finally booked my tickets for Christmas. I will spend almost three weeks in Tenerife, a very long time considereing that this year I've just been for 6 days in my home island. And even better, before flying back to Tenerife I will also spend a couple of days in Switzerland, which is a perfect Christmas treat! I lived in Switzerland for half a year and now I haven't been back for almost a year and a half, so you can imagine how excited I am about being back there and spending some lovely mini holidays with my boyfriend in his home country.

Love took me to Switzerland three years ago and even though Switzerland wasn't on top of my list I fell in love again, but this time with all the charming cities and towns I visited and the breathtaking nature that shapes the country. High mountains covered in snow all year long, green valleys adorned with colourful flowers, small waterfalls, transparent lakes and creeks, everything is amazingly beautiful and picture perfect. Every city and town and also unique, full of history and with compact city centers lined by short elegant buildings with its own style and many a cobbled street which make a walk a town really enjoyable. And then you have the food: chocolate, cheese, many sweet treats and many different and delicious types of bread, my mouth is watering just at the thought if it! And my mind is also drifting away amid all the lovely memories of this small and yet surprising alpine country. It's still five weeks to go and in the meantime I still have lot of hard work to do, and oh, exams again. But having something so good to look forward to will make it a bit easier ... just a bit!

So far I've seen quite a lot in Switzerland. I've lived in Basel and I've been to Zurich, Bern, Geneva, Lucerne, Interlaken, Zermatt, Winterthur, Shaffhausen, Rheinfelden, Sion, Leukerbad, Thun, Visp and Kaiseraugst. But my list of places to see isn't completely crossed out!

TO SEE - TO DO:

  • Discover the most southern part of Switzerland, the Italian-speaking Tessin, or Ticino, just like the locals call it.
  • Make a trip to the Aletsch Glacier, which is not only on my Switzerland to see list but also on my Top Ten places to go to.
  • Visit the Einstein Museum in Bern and enjoy the Swiss capital once again.
  • Practice some winter sport for the first time in my life. Why not?!
  • Daytrip to St. Gallen,a city in the eastern part of the country included in the UNESCO list of World Heritage Sites.

13 comments:

  1. You have no idea how glad I am you posted this. We are planning a trip to Germany and Switzerland in early 2014 (far away, I know!)

    My husband's paternal grandparents are Swiss and immigrated to the US when his dad was a teenager. They are from Zurich. )My married name is Ringger.)

    I appreciate all the advice I can get, as this is like a "going home" trip of sorts for my husband. :)

    ~Ashley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to read this, Ashley! I'm happy to inspire and hopefully I can give you some useful tips.

      This sounds like a great trip and I'm sure that you both will have a wonderful time and love Switzerland (and maybe even Germany) as well. Have you started planning your itinerary yet?

      Have a great weekend :)
      Irene

      Delete
  2. p.s. Your description of Switzerland was just beautiful. I am even more excited now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you are going to have a great time! it's another play i've always wanted to go. love the sweet treats part! hahaha i'm excited for you! enjoy!
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kim!
      I am really looking forward to it! I hope that you'll ever have the chance to go there because it's a really worthy destination!

      Have a sweet weekend :)
      Irene

      Delete
  4. Thank you for your lovely comments :) You love in Maastricht? How exciting. I didn't manage to visit there when I was in Amsterdam but I have heard nice things about it. Lucerne and Bern are my favourites but haven't been to many towns to really compare. Can't wait to read your adventures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your nice comment as well, Jo :)
      Yes, I have been living in Maastricht for over a year now and I really like it! It's a small city but very beautiful and charming.
      I'm also looking forward to catching a glimpse of your next adventures!

      Delete
  5. My girl friend lived in switzerland for a year and absolutely adored it, such stunning scenery and kind people!

    xoxo Bree
    The Urban Umbrella
    http://www.theurbanumbrella.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also lived there for half a year and loved it as well! The landscapes are absolutely amazing!
      xo

      Delete
  6. La verdad que suiza nunca me ha llamado la atencion en exceso, sobretodo por el frio pero ultimamente no para de oir o leer maravillas sobre el pais, tendre que darle una oportunidad.
    Que bien suenan las navidades en Tenerife, disfruta muchisimo!!
    beso

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A mí tampoco me había llamado mucho la atención pero fue una grata sorpresa. Y si no te llama el frío, ve en verano que hace bastante calor. De hecho, las últimas veces que me he quemado han sido en Basilea!
      Y la verdad que tengo ganas de volver a Tenerife, que en lo que va de año sólo he estado allí 6 días, todo un record!
      Beso!

      Delete
  7. That's exciting news! Sounds like a wonderful holiday before the year ends. Have a great trip and lots of adventure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thakns, Arni! I'm really looking forward to it, counting the days actually :)
      I hope that you're having a great holiday!

      Delete

Thanks for your comments!
I appreaciate your love and reactions.
I'll take a look at your blogs and I'll try to reply as soon as possible
Feel free to follow if you like :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...