Thursday, November 8, 2012

Kruidennoten! It's that time of the year again!


I have been wanting to write this post for a while now because the holiday season is my favourite time of the year and I love everything related to Christmas. But for that same reason I've held back as I believe that too much of a good thing can actually take the fun out of it. But now, the city is so full of signs that I simply cannot ignore anymore the fact that we're on the countdown to Christmas! It's getting chilly, streets are already decorated and lit, Sinterklaas and his little helpers are taking over every shop window in The Netherlands and kruidennoten are back in the supermarket since 3rd September! I personally found it a bit weird that they started selling seasonal chocolates and sweets so soon, but nevertheless I was happy to see them back.

Kruidennoten are tiny, crunchy cookies with a spicy taste that are eaten in The Netherlands for the Sinterklaas holiday. You can find them in almost every Dutch shop for three months before the saint gives presents to all Dutch children on 5th December. Nowadays, kruidennoten are sold in different sizes and flavours and kruidennoten covered in chocolate are especially popular and delicious! Besides kruidennoten, chocolate letters are another popular sweet in The Netherlands and if you're good enough throughout the year Sinterklaas will leave a chocolate letter with the initial letter of your name in your shoes ... otherwise you can choose your own at any Dutch supermarket or department store and you'll be spoilt for choice with dark, milk or white chocolate, luxe letter with nuts or marzipan and the list goes on.


It's still a month to celebrate Sinterklaas in The Netherlands and a bit more until Christmas but until then, I'll keep on enjoying all the wonderful treats that this country has to offer. Oh, and I'll be writing more on Sinterklaas soon, in you case you're wondering who this Dutch version of Santa Claus is. 
As I said, I really love the holidays season and I'm always curious about how it is celebrated in different countries, so what about your countries? Do you also have some specials Christmas traditions? And delicious Christmas treats?

p.s. The best way to enjoy kruidennoten is with a warm cup of tea or hot chocolate, sitting on the couch and watching a nice movie. If you want the whole Dutch experience (and dare to expose your ears to the Dutch language) you can try Alles Is Liefde, a sort of Dutch version of Love Actually get loved up just in time to celebrate Sinterklaas. Extra points for great friends around!


10 comments:

  1. Ohhh how gorgeous this looks,babe!Can't take my eyes off;)
    xx
    B.
    http://www.beeswonderland.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your pictures! And I love Sinterklaas too! I use to live in The Netherlands and now doing my ocassional holiday there. I just love it there :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!
      I also like Sinterklaas, and the kruidennoten, and the chocolate letters, and ... everything about it!
      Enjoy your ocasional vacation here, I also like being here quite a lot :)

      Delete
  3. Excellent post! This is why I blog! I love learning how other cultures and countries do things. I knew nothing of kruidennoten or sinterklaas. It was very interesting to learn about both. I'm excited for Christmas as well. I live in the States. We have an abundance of stuff (maybe too much!) over here.
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim, I also like learning about different cultures and celebrations in different countries. That's one of the best things about travelling and I feel really lucky for having had the chance to live in a few different countries until now!
      Looking forward to read about yout Christmas preparations in your blog :)
      x

      Delete
  4. I love the idea of receiving a chocolate letter from Sinterklaas and sipping hot chocolate, snuggled in watching a film sounds perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's also a perfect plan for me :)
      I'm already looking forward to unwrap my chocolate letter and enjoy it!

      Delete
  5. Great post! I love the atmosphere. And those cookies look so yummi!

    http://klaraspoint.blogspot.cz/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dekuji!
      I also love all the yummy cookies and chocolates :)

      Delete

Thanks for your comments!
I appreaciate your love and reactions.
I'll take a look at your blogs and I'll try to reply as soon as possible
Feel free to follow if you like :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...