Sunday, December 9, 2012

Christmas markets across Europe

One of my favourite things about spending the (pre)Christmas season in Europe is being able to enjoy the wonders of Christmas markets. Oh, Christmas markets, just the thought of it makes me rejoice and I start daydreaming of all those beautiful lights and the delicious smells of gingerbread and mulled wine. I think we also have Christmas markets in Spain but there's no point in comparing them to the traditional ones in Germany and neighbouring countries. Well, at least the one we have in Tenerife would not pass the test, I really don't know for the rest.

Christmas market in Basel

Christmas market in Aachen

Christmas market in Maastricht

Christmas markets are usually made of dozens of wooden stalls selling all kind of Christmas treats: sweets, toys, winter apparel, mulled wine, ... Traditional Christmas carols play all day long and there are usually some attractions for children (and the not so little ones) like carroussels and ice rinks. They originated in the Late Middle Ages in the German-speaking regions of Europe but the tradition has spread all over the continent and nowadays many countries count with a couple of well renowned Christmas markets. So far, I have visited and enjoyed them in Antwerp (Belgium), Basel (Switzerland), Strasbourg (France), Aachen (Germany) and Maastricht (The Netherlands) and my favourite has been Aachen. After all, German Christmas markets still retain their original glory and usually make for the most alluring destinations among Christmas markets lovers. Unfortunately, this year I'm stuck at home with some boring books to study and I couldn't go to Germany to indulge on some seasonal shopping and Christmas snacks but I hope that I will manage to catch up later this month in Basel, once my exams are done. Until then, I hope that all of you are enjoying the countdown to Christmas! 

Are there also Christmas markets in your countries? Do you love them as much as I do? Any suggestions?

14 comments:

  1. Estoy preparando un post de Navidades en Berlin y leí mucho sobre los mercados Navideños, en valencia es súper triste no hay y en Madrid ponían uno muy chulo de figuras de belén y adornos pero con los años a acabado degenerando mucho y son casi todo cacharros de chinos...nada q ver con esas maravillas.
    Me encantaría verlos!
    Besito guapa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me ha encantado tu post de Berlín :)
      En Tenerife tb ponen uno entre el 2 y el 5 de enero que solía ser de artesanía, pero en los últimos años que lo visité tb había degenerado mucho y se reducía a cualquier cosa con colores rastas y estampados de maria o tb mucho de chino ... no sé como seguirá la cosa (ni si seguirá) pero este año podré pasarme a comprobar jajajajjaja

      Delete
  2. It's so funny, I was just discussing Christmas markets with a friend from Germany- how much he misses the wooden stalls back home filled with Christmas treats, while he's vacationing in the tropical islands. There are some here but the ones in Europe are much more beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hehe what a coincidence!
      We also have some sort of Christmas market in Tenerife but it's not a lively as the ones in Europe, that's something that I'm really happy to enjoy while freezing in Europe :)

      Delete
  3. I haven't been to one. I know it's not as popular here than it is in Europe. I can't wait til christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to Christmas either, I love the holiday season!
      I'm curious about Christmas celebrations in Australia, looking forward to reading sth about it in your blog!

      Delete
  4. Christmas time is a jolly happy time! I love it!
    http://johced-ourjourneytoeverywhere.blogspot.com
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it too! My fave time of the year :)
      xoxo

      Delete
  5. i have a lot of international readers and they have been discussing Christmas markets. i don't think we have these in the States. at least i'm not aware. hahaha i think the concept is so nice. i love markets! it's like one stop shopping, where you can find everything. these are lovely! good luck with your exams and YES, i'll have some leading into Christmas posts for you :)
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your nice wishes, hope you're feeling perfectly well by now!
      I had no idea that there were no Christmas markets in the US. I know they're typically German (or central European now) but I thought they had also spread to north America.
      I'm always curious about different traditions,so looking forward to your Christmas posts :)

      Delete
  6. Awww, I love this post because I definitely experienced this last week and loved them. You're right the ones in Germany are so authentic. The pics you shared are so cute especially the ferris wheel.

    xoDale
    http://www.savvyspice.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy you liked them!
      Hope your had a great holidays in Europe!

      xoxo

      Delete
  7. While I was still in London I went to the Winter Wonderland, but it was so crowded that it was actually a bit hard to enjoy all the things you are mentioning (not to mention the prices...)
    But if there were less people, I believe it would have been very enjoyable!

    My Own Project

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that everything is crowded around this time in London! I want to visit the Winter Wonderland some time :)

      Delete

Thanks for your comments!
I appreaciate your love and reactions.
I'll take a look at your blogs and I'll try to reply as soon as possible
Feel free to follow if you like :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...