Sunday, December 16, 2012

Enjoying Switzerland with all 5 senses

Time goes by really, really fast and I can't believe that I'll be in Switzerland just in five days! I am really looking forward to it as Switzerland quickly became one of my favourite countries and I haven't been back  there for almost a year and a half now. So, to celebrate my upcoming short visit to Switzerland I decided to reflect upon my previous trips and make a 5 senses special post about Switzerland. Switzerland is a very diverse country and it can be enjoyed in many ways, with all of the senses, so here are my top sight, hearing, taste, smell and touch experiences. I hope that you like this atypical tour through the country and get inspired to search for your own unique experiences wherever you are! And if you come up with some similar 5 senses post, let me know!

  • SIGHT: Switzerland has landscapes for everyone's taste! Lakes, glaciers, mountains, rivers, ... All of  them are utterly beautiful and seem like a tempting invite to leave all the stress behind and get lost away from restless cities. For me, the most awesome view was the first time that I saw the Alps. I was driving to Bern (I think) when I suddenly spotted those big, shiny, snowy mountains ahead. Within seconds I was totally taken and forgot about Bern. I tried to get as close to the Alps as I could and I finally stopped at Interlaken, a tiny city by the Alps that I love. I don't think I'll ever forget the first moment I got a glimpse of the Alps and felt the sudden urge to drive ahead to take a closer look.


  • HEARING: Probably, the most quirky hearing experience is listening to and trying to understand a single word of the German dialect that is spoken in the German part of Switzerland ('Grüezi, wie göht's?' for 'Hallo, wie geht's?') However, the most impressive hearing experience was visiting Rheinfell and hearing the endless thunderous sound of the water falling down the waterfalls. I had never seen a waterfall before and, even though this one was a little one, it didn't fail to impress. When I started the walk I could hear the water in the distance , but the closer I got, the more deafening it became. And suddenly I was there, so close that the water splashed me and I couldn't even hear my own thoughts. All I heard was the water falling down non-stop and it really got me thinking of how powerful and beautiful nature is!


  • TASTE: Eating a raclette really got me! Normally I wouldn't have tried it, as I don't like cheese and I would have sworn that I wouldn't like this one as well, as it was too smelly when raw. But my boyf cooked it for me so I had to try it ... and I liked it! First of all I like the way it is done. The table is laid with raw food (bacon, sausages, gerkhins, ...) and boiled potatoes. The raclette apparat is turned on and the fun begins! Raclette is like DIY food. Cheese is melt in small spatulas and meat and vegetable are grilled above. Then cheese is pourred on potatoes, sausage and whatever you like and seasoned with raclette seasoning spices ... delicious!


  • SMELL: Well, I'm gonna carry on talking about food. Every Swiss town holds for sure at least one market throught the year. My fave is the Christmas Market, Weihnachtsmarkt. I was this year in Basels Weihnachtsmarkt and it was great. The main squares are full with stalls selling all kind of crafty gifts. The air is chilly and the market is crowded. People walk en masse heading to the food stalls and even though temperatures are probably below 0ºC I could smell many delicious things being cooked around, specially sausage and mulled wine! I love them both and I also found out that mulled wine is a very useful thing on cold days. After all, the main reason to buy yourself a warm cup of mulled wine is to warm up your hands.


  • TOUCH: It's difficult to describe touch experiences involving a landscape. However, I can say that I had a great touch experience in Switzerland, which is probably my best experience ever and the closest that one can get to Heaven on Earth. I visited some thermal baths in winter. It was in Leukerbad, right in the middles of the Alps. The bath was outside and it offered an amazing view of the Alps mountain (truly heavenly view to enjoy from a thermal bath) It was -2ºC and suddenly it started to snow. And I was there, in my swimsuit, feeling how the snowflakes landed on my face and froze but still, I felt no cold at all, as I was lounging in 35ºC or so waters. I even dared to go outside the water for a minute and felt the frozen air on my skin. Going back to the water felt like bliss!


13 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're looking radiant and gorgeous, Irene! Beautiful post, using all the senses to fully enjoy Switzerland. It's still a dream of mine to go there. Oh and my heart just stopped when I saw raclette! YummyQ I had raclette grill in my Christmas wish list :)

      Delete
    2. Thanks Arni! The picture was taking 2 years ago and I had a great time in Switzerland back then!
      Hope you get a raclette for Christmas then, so that you can enjoy it :)

      Delete
  2. Have an awesome time in Switzerland! I think that is so fabulous. The beauty of it is breathtaking, even through pictures. So i can only imagine it in person. Ohhhhh please share your adventures once you return. I would love to see. That raclette sounds interesting! I wouldn't mind cooking that way every once in awhile. Fabulous post! That's why GOD gave us senses. We don't use half of what he's given us.
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your sweet comments Kim :)
      The raclette was delicious as well as interesting and teh beauty is indeed really breathtaking! There are so many places I'd still love to see in Switzerland! I'll try to share some more once I'm done with all the Christmas rush!

      Delete
  3. I've never been to Switzerland but it sounds incredible from how you're describing experiencing it through the five senses. Eating raclette sure sounds like a unique experience. I'm sure you'll have an amazing time! Enjoy!

    Rowena @ rolala loves

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rowena!
      I had a realy incredible time in Switzerland two years ago and I still love to come back here every now and then. It's an utterly beautiful country. And raclette was delicious :)

      Delete
  4. Switzerland wow! But I never been to Tenerife, I want to book flights to tenerife
    . And have fun in Switzerland please share your adventure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marion!
      Tenerife is also really beautiful, I would recommend it for sure, so hopefully you can book some tickets soon!

      Delete
  5. HI Irenita, thanks for visiting rotterdamdailyphoto!
    I must say, i'd rather be in Switzerland than Rotterdam at the moment :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment Ineke!
      As much as I like Maastricht, I also wanted to get out for a while and enjoy something different :)

      Delete
  6. I love Switzerland too. The thermal baths in Leukerbad sounds amazing. Now I want to give it a go. Will you be spending Christmas there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should give it a go if you visit Switzerland some time :)
      I'm spending Christmas' Eve in Switzerland but I'll fly to Tenerife early on Christmas morning to have Christmas dinner with my family!

      Delete

Thanks for your comments!
I appreaciate your love and reactions.
I'll take a look at your blogs and I'll try to reply as soon as possible
Feel free to follow if you like :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...