Thursday, December 6, 2012

It ain't called Costa del Sol for nothing

Late autumn in Malaga

Costa del Sol, meaning Coast of the Sun in Spanish, is the region in Andalusia comprising all coastal towns of the province of Malaga, including Malaga city itself. It is a very beautiful coastline plaggued by nice beaches with dark sand and pictoric towns with white houses, inhabited by friendly people, owning a rich cultural heritage and a delicious gastronomical tradition and, well, accounting for an amazingly high number of sunlight hours per year. Here the sun shines probably more than in most other places in Europe and temperatures are usually quite mild during the winter and very hot during the summer, so no wonder that many Europeans already know and love the charms of this Spanish touristic region. The only drawback are the consequences of mass tourism: tacky resorts, to many hotels and shopping malls and polluted beaches. Probably that's one of the reasons why the interior regions of the province of Malaga, and of Andalusia in general, are becoming so popular among many tourist who are looking for a peaceful and soulful place to rest, as well as seeking the sun.

Last week I was lucky enough to spend a long weekend in Malaga (perks of having a geographically disperse family) and besides all the nice things that come with family reunion I also enjoyed a couple of days under the sun without almost any worries on my mind. No studying, no coursework, no group meetings ... Just sleeping, eating, gossiping and shopping with my brother, strolling around the city and attending the illumination of Malaga's Christmas Lights. The lights were really beautiful: a huge golden and purple light tree and many more golden and purple lights along one of Malaga's main streets, Calle Larios. There was a great street party with balloons and puppet shows for children and Alex Ubago singing for the delight of many teenagers, youngsters and some of their mums. The only thing I was missing was a bit more of Christmas sfeer but I guess this is more difficult to achieve with the sun shining and the music playing is Danza Kuduro instead of traditional Christmas carols. 

I didn't have much time to do some sightseeing, but at this point I don't really need to do that much sightseeing anymore as I know Malaga quite well and I've been to quite a few lovely towns at Costa del Sol, including Marbella, Torremolinos, Fuengirola, Nerja, Ronda or Benahavis. Still, my boyfriend and I sometimes toy with the idea of doing a roadtrip around Andalusia, so we better start planning, as our wish list is growing beyond the scope of a lifetime possibilities!

More on Malaga coming soon ...

4 comments:

  1. Wow, it's a beautiful place! A road trip in Andalusia sounds heavenly. I see pictures of Marbella from a friend based in the UK who loves to go there every chance she gets. It makes me want to pack my bags. Spain is definitely in my wish list. Enjoy your holidays and happy travels. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Arni!
      It is indeed really beautiful, you should definetely visit Spain some time!
      Have a wonderful holidays you too :)

      Delete

Thanks for your comments!
I appreaciate your love and reactions.
I'll take a look at your blogs and I'll try to reply as soon as possible
Feel free to follow if you like :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...