Sunday, January 13, 2013

Back to reality

Late Sunday evening. It's high time to acknowledge it. Holidays are already over and tomorrow my alarm clock will ring at 7am again. It's been a long time of freedom, happiness and relax that started with four nice days in Switzerland, continued with three warm weeks in Tenerife and has just ended with a lovely weekend in Maastricht with my boyfriend. But before going back to reality I want to share and enjoy again the highlights and the not so big but cheery moments of my holidays. So, this is a list of the usual things I did that put a smile on my face everyday!

  • I spent some time with my girlfriends. I've known most of them since I was two years old, we grew up together and even though we don't see us very often anymore nothing beats a good get together with the girls from school.
  • I slept. A lot! After 6 weeks of stress during which I didn't sleep for more than four hours in a row I was really needy for sleep so a good lie in everyday was almost mandatory. Anyways, I've never been a good sleeper so I was already up at 10am the latest, but fully recovered and ready to get back to my study duties.
  • I finally read some books that didn't contain any equations or mathematical derivations. And it felt sooo good! I laughed and cried reading This Charming Man (Marian Keyes) again and I also took a look at my old Australia travel guide. And after complaining out loud of it being so old that it contained no single internet site on it I got a brand-new Australia guide as a travel present. Hopefully it'll be useful sometime ...
  • I caught up with my fave series. I got my daily fix of The Simpsons and I'm really considering getting some DVD boxes as I haven't been able to find them nowhere in Dutch tv. I shared my love for The Big Bang Theory nerdiness with my parents and my mother actually started calling them physicists instead of nerds, so mission accomplished! And I kept on discovering Grey's Anatomy with my boyrfriend. Never watched it before him but I'm getting hooked. Just started on the first season after having watched seasons 6, 7 and 8 on and off.
  • I baked the yummiest biscuits ever! I don't have an oven in Maastricht so I'm actually craving homemade cookies, cupcakes and pastries all year round. But it turns out to be good for my figure, mind you. After three weeks of copious eating and indulging in every sweet treat that Christmas had to offer I'll have to start dieting tomorrow.
  • I enjoyed a lot of window shopping. There are too many nice Spanish retailers which don't have shops in Maastricht. Stradivarius, Sfera, Pull&Bear, Blanco are just some examples and I really miss those shops when I'm away. Anyways, I'm good at finding subtitutes when it comes to clothing stores. I also wandered around the ever-growing Chinatown in Santa Cruz a lot. I'm always amazed at how many new chinese shops I can find everytime.
  • I watched two wonderful sunrises from the sky. I flew to Tenerife on Christmas Day and I came back to Maastricht yesterday. Both flights were scheduled really early in the morning (or should I better say night!) While I totally disliked the idea of getting up at in the middle of the night to make it to the airport, I was rewarded both times with the amazing experience of seeing the sun rising right in the sky. And I can tell you that the sun seems brighter and feels warmer when up above!
  • I gazed up the sky to see the stars every night. It is no wonder that the Canary Islands are home to some of the most important telescopes in the world. After all, they enjoy a very clear sky at night thanks to the legislation ruling out light pollution. Every night when I walked home I delighted myself looking up to the sky and getting my bearings among a thousand stars.
  • I walked three weeks in my ballet flats in the middle of the winter. And I loved it! I once read that Sophia Coppola's favourite bit of arriving to the south of France was letting her feet slip into a pair of summey sandals. Well, Tenerife might not be as glamourous as the Côte d'Azur but my feet appreaciate the same sense of freedom they get from being back to my beloved ballet flats as soon as I set foot on my home island.


And that was my holiday in a glimpse. Maybe I didn't do too many interesting things but I enjoyed every single minute of it and now I'm sad it's over. But the good thing about it is that time is already counting down for the next holiday, whenever that might be.  
Did you also have a wonderful Holidays? Any fond memories to share?

6 comments:

  1. Looks like you had some good times =)
    I am curently studying Product Design at Central St Martins, in London. They kind of like making their students not have time for sleeping...

    My Own Project

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that's really cool! When I was a teen I wanted to be a fashion designer and Central St Martins was my favourite school, I even asked for the brochures! But in the end I drew quite a rational decission and studied mathematics ... Now I'm doing a master's degree and sometimes I don't have time to sleep either!

      Delete
  2. hey irene! happy monday! i've come across so many bloggers (including myself) that have found it hard to get back into the groove of things after the holidays. you and i pretty much did the same things. hahaha what's important, is that you do the things you WANT and LOVE to do. your ballet flats are really cute. i love them and wear them everyday. wishing you a wonderful week.
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hehehe good to know I'm not the only person struggling to get back to work!
      Nice that you did and enjoyed many similar things, I think it's important to realize that many of the simple and free things in this life are actually the most satisfying :)

      Delete
  3. Hi Irene :) They say, one needs a holiday after a vacation. It seems you've made the most of your travels. Two sunrises and watching the stars..lovely! Doing the things you love is what truly matters and what makes a perfect holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. look like you've had a great time! mine is lovely, spending a lot of my time with my sister (who lives in germany) but got ill over new year but not complaining, a lot of films to watch! :-)

    xx
    The Young Bridget Jones

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!
I appreaciate your love and reactions.
I'll take a look at your blogs and I'll try to reply as soon as possible
Feel free to follow if you like :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...