Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Deeply moved by Picasso in Madrid

Image from www.museoreinasofia.es

Four years ago I went to Madrid for a long weekend with a dear friend of mine to visit some other dear friends of mine. It was a very cool trip which included eating tapas, partying on Sunday evening, visiting Toledo and soaking up on some world class art in the probably best museums in Spain. I was sure that I wanted to visit El Prado Museum and my travel companion wanted to go to the Reina Sofía Museum and in the end we did both. I wasn't particulary keen on modern art back then, so the Reina Sofía Museum, which focus on contemporary art, wasn't exactly my piece of cake. I was however keen on seeing the famous Guernica painting by Picasso. I had been told that it is really big and impressive and while I didn't find so impressively big something happened to me for the first time, I got emotional when watching this masterpiece. I had never got emotional when confronted with a piece of artwork. I was impressed by Rubens' huge canvases, I was delighted by the melancholic use of colour of impressionist painters, I let my mind drift away when staring at exotic paintings by Gauguin, but never ever was I so deeply moved by a painting, let alone a modern art painting. I had seen the Guernica hundreds of times before, I'm sure it appeared in every history and literature textbook I had at school, and back then I just thought it was a random composition of childish sketched. But when I was face to face with this monocromatic painting I kind of felt all the pain depicted on it. I closed my eyes and reflected on all the wasted lives and all the families divided by a civil war, I thought about the horrors and futility of armed conflicts, I felt a couple of tears rolling down my cheeks. I opened my eyes and stared firmly at this wonderful painting by Picasso all of a sudden I fell in love with it, the kind of love you feel when you don't need to speak any word to tell the most touching of stories. 
Have you ever been that lovestruck by art? Ever got emotional just by looking at a painting, a photograph? 

Keeping up of Picasso I would like to share one of his inspirational quotes. It was written in the wall of my art classroom at school and I've remembered it ever since:

"Inspiration does exist but it has to find you working"

He was so right about it. I was a very creative child but once I started studying at uni I stopped drawing and writing and every now and then I complain to myself that my inspiration has gone dry and that I cannot draw or write like I did before. However, blogging has somehow proved to me that Picasso was totally right. At the beginning I was very insecure about my writing and I usually lacked inspiration but the more I blog, the easier it gets to come up with ideas for new posts. Does it also happen to you?

Last but not least, I would like to thank you all for dropping by at Away from Tenerife and all your sweet comments, it makes me realy happy to see that you're enjoying as much as I do! I don't have that much time to answer to comments right now because I'm terribly busy with studying, work and writing my master thesis (yes! I finally came up with a topic!) but I really appreciate it!

7 comments:

  1. Wow this sounds like such an amazing experience! I would love to go Madrid but I didnt get the chance last time I was travelling :(

    xoxo Bree
    The Urban Umbrella
    http://www.theurbanumbrella.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a priceless moment. Being moved by art like that. I remember crying and feeling emotional from an artistic time lapse video created by someone I met through a friend in a party. I had no idea how talented he is that his work was hugely published in Gulf News and in the media last year. The inspiration quote by Picasso is so true. I always enjoy reading your posts and look forward to them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, it was The National newspaper not Gulf News. Have a lovely Thursday!

      Delete
  3. its a wonderful thing to have a piece move you so much

    Jessica
    www.jumpintopuddles.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really want to have a look at Guernica. It must have been particularly moving experience. For me the first art/picture I was moved by was 'The Girl in the Picture' of the Vietnam war. I remember tearing up after seeing that picture at school. It was heart-breaking.

    Keep writing Irene. I love reading your posts and your travels. Thank you for reading mine too :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Woowww...me encantan los blogs viajeros!!! Se ve todo súper bonito...
    Si te gusta viajar, seguro que tb te gusta el mio :)
    Besitos guapaa y Feliz fin de
    www.laotracolumnadecarrie.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. this was so beautiful irene. i can definitely understand. i have an appreciation for art unlike when i was in high school and such. i'm glad you got to see his work in person doll.
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!
I appreaciate your love and reactions.
I'll take a look at your blogs and I'll try to reply as soon as possible
Feel free to follow if you like :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...