Thursday, February 7, 2013

The most beautiful bookstore in the world


Maastricht is a lovely and quiet city full of charming corners and cobbled alleys and today I would like to introduce you to one of its hidden treasures which is one of my favourite places in the city. And if you happen to love bookstores as much as I do, you're in for a treat! A couple of months ago I read this interesting post about the world's most beautiful bookstores at Two Sides to ... Jo, a nice blog full of travel inspiration, interior design ideas and some yummy recipes every now and then. I went through the list of wonderful bookstores and when I spotted the Maastricht Selexyz bookstore I felt really happy that I could at list tick one off the list. But this came as no surprise, as the Selexyz bookstore is really exceptional and it is often featured in every list compiled with the most beautiful bookstores. 


Selexyz Dominicanen, as it is fully named, is housed in an old dominican church and that's what makes it so special and beautiful. The church was built almost 700 years ago and its high ceilings are still decorated with old frescoes. The walls and columns are made of whitish stone and the tall windows are mostly covered by colourless stained glass. Books are spread all over the nave and the center has been  adapted to host three two extra floors. A Coffeelovers corner can be found at the altar and you might have probably never heard of Coffelovers before, as they're a local response to Starbucks, but they serve the best coffee in Maastricht  and also great ciabattas and cakes but their range is a bit more limited at the Selexyz corner.



When it comes to books, Selexyz Dominicanen may not be the best bookstore, as it is a bit somber inside, the book selection is not particulary wide and sometimes books, and specially magazines, seem to be ordered in a rather chaotic manner. But it is indeed one of the most beautiful bookstore in the world and really worth on some minutes or hours of your time, depending on much you love books (in Dutch).
Have you been to any other most beautiful bookstore anywhere in the world? Any suggestions?


16 comments:

  1. Wow, breathtaking for sure!!! Great pictures as well!
    Have a fabulous time!

    Best wishes, Alexandra
    www.svetusvet.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alexandra, it is a really beautiful place to spend some time,especially if it is raining outside :)

      Have a fabulous weekend!

      Delete
  2. This place is amazing, I love cathedrals and architecture...magical place!! Thank you so much for the sweet comments, I appreciate them!! Am happy you like my blog, Kim is wonderful :)) Have a gorgeous weekend doll xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment as well!
      I was kind of in love with your blog, I'm happy Kim recommended, she's indeed great!
      Have a great weekend you too!

      Delete
  3. I find it highly amusing that they put the coffee stand at the alter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! And I also found it amusing that the table is cross-shaped!

      Delete
  4. Hi Irene! I don´t know if I should speak in English( because you publish on this language) or Spanish( because you commented on my blog on this one) anyway, I wanted to thank you for your comment and following my blog and now I am following yours too.You´ve got a very interesting blog.Kisses:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hola Pilar, muchas gracias por tu comentario! Puedes escribirme en español, que aún no lo he olvidado jeje.
      La verdad que me gusto mucho tu blog y sobre todo tu estilo, porque es muy sencillo, sin pretensiones como tú misma dices! Así que me inspiraré en tí de vez en cuando:)
      Beso!

      Delete
  5. Really love the church architecture, so beautiful, I'm a huge fan of gothic structures. So glad I clicked on your comment that led me back to your blog, your posts' contents are info and image juicy so expect to be seeing some regular comments from me. I've just posted up one my most PROVOKING outfits featuring Erdem's runway printed neoprene coat and matching heels, do tell what you think on the craziness and l hope it entertains ;)

    xx The Provoker
    http://www.the-provoker.com/2013/02/erdem-ocratic.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your nice comment! I will for sure check your blog :)

      Have a nice weekend!

      Delete
  6. This is amazing, it looks heavenly! I can imagine spending hours in there. Having a coffee shop is definitely an extra treat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! It is a delightful bookstore, I go quite often just to take a look!

      Delete
  7. Absolutely wonderful! If I lived nearby I'd stop by every day. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to stop by everyday when I was working nearby :)

      Delete
  8. I read about this store!! I love bookstores and would love to go there!!! =D And the coffee looks amazing =D

    xoRosie
    The Austrian Rose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love bookstores as well and this one is really special. I don't drink coffee but tea and hot chocolate are very tasty!

      Delete

Thanks for your comments!
I appreaciate your love and reactions.
I'll take a look at your blogs and I'll try to reply as soon as possible
Feel free to follow if you like :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...