Friday, April 26, 2013

30 before 30

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." 
Mark Twain

Let's all sail away from the safe harbour.

Recently I have started to reflect upon my life as I'm turning 30 in exactly a year and a half. That's a big milestone and I feel the sudden urge to evaluate of what I've achieved until now and what's still missing and I'm happy to say that despite a row of tough years in the past I'm quite satisfied with the balance so far. Especially the last five years have been amazing! I went to study abroad for the first time, started working, to earn some money of my own and to travel around Europe as much as I could and in between I even met my missing puzzle piece (as Katy Perry would sing in Teenage Dream). Then, one day not long ago I stumbled upon this quote by Mark Twain and I knew that I still had a lot more to do and so much left to see. Slowly, I started putting together my bucket list and among finally learning Russian and finding a job I like, I know that one of the things I want to keep on doing in the years to come is traveling. Traveling is probably one of the most fulfilling and rewarding hobbies anyone could have. It teaches you more than any book could about the world we live in and the people we share it with; it provides you with memories that will last a lifetime and you get the very satisfying feeling that you are actually making the most of your limited time on Earth. That's why I decided to set up myself the challenge of visiting 30 new places before turning 30. That's it, 18 months from today on to see 30 places I've never seen before. Because 18 months is not that much time and my life is quite unsettled at the moment, making it difficult to plan ahead, I've decided to keep options quite open. I will not write any list of dream destinations and I will not make a strict definition of place. Maybe it's a new country, maybe an underrated village just round the corner of my current home or maybe a national park waiting to be discovered. I'm hoping to be surprised in 18 months with the list I put together, which probably won't take me outside Europe yet. So, the only requisite for a place to fulfill the challenge is that I've never been there before. You can take a look at the list of places I've been before here and I will tag all posts about new places with 30before30.

I hope that you get inspired by this quote as well and maybe you even decide to join me with your very own challenge. Rules are loose, so just go for what want. Follow your dreams and reach for the stars!

Have a wonderful weekend!

10 comments:

  1. your blog is great! :)
    would you like to follow each other? Let me know!
    www.lusciousstyle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Daria!
      I'll check your blog as well!

      Delete
  2. Wow, beautiful photo's, great blog!

    Thank you for your inspiration!
    Love,Jantasie
    www.jantasie.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Janneke!
      I'm happy to inspire :)

      Delete
  3. This is awesome, Irene. Looking forward to your 30 before 30 adventures. Have a great weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to them as well :)
      Have a great week, Arni!

      Delete
  4. Hey Irene! What an inspiration you are! I think everyone should do this. I look forward to hearing and seeing your adventures :). You've had an exemplary life doll.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're making me blush!
      I'm happy that you find it inspiring and I'm also looking forward to seeing what this new adventure brings to me :)

      Delete
  5. ohhh Mark Twain, the man can inspire me for daaayssss. i think it's so important to remember that quote, especially the second you start getting comfortable in a routine. i now it's hard to just throw everything up into the air and go on adventures (haha) but i find myself saying no to little things, like going out for the night or ripping myself away from the couch. i think making a list of goals is an amazing idea- it gives you a game plan!!

    xo Marlen
    Messages on a Napkin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I have the same feeling of not going out enough or spending too much time inside, so I totally agree with you, Marlen!
      I loved Mark Twain when I was a child, I lost count of the times I read The Adventures of Tom Sawyer and later Huckelberry Finn. I just rediscovered him!

      Delete

Thanks for your comments!
I appreaciate your love and reactions.
I'll take a look at your blogs and I'll try to reply as soon as possible
Feel free to follow if you like :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...