Monday, April 8, 2013

Hiking around Maastricht

Yesterday there was finally a lovely spring day, maybe the first of this year. The sun was shining brightly and it was even warm enough to spend some time sipping an ice-tea on a terrace. I didn't hesitate for a moment and decided to spend the day outside enjoying the long awaited nice weather. I went hiking to the St Pieter Mount and eventually made it Belgium and back. It was a lovely and lengthy walk starting at Sint-Pieter Fort and and going southwards amid hills and coming back along the Maas river. The whole path accounts for 10.5 Km and is well signaled; there are also some shoter paths which can be done in an hour. The landscape was beautiful but not really outstanding, especially now that trees are still naked and grass is not as lush as it could be. But still, it was a really nice hike and it felt so good to be out in the sun surrounded by the nature and yet so close to home at the same time.






I am actually really proud of myself for having managed to complete the 10 Km hike (12 actually, as I had to walk first to the St Pieter's Fort and back home). And after such a great achievement I rewarded myself with a delicious meal in a nice café in the center of Maastricht. There's a nice café in 't Vrijthof (the main square in Maastricht) which looks like an old heater inside and it serves this delicious hamburguer for just 6.5€! I still can't believe it, as most cafés arouns already charge 7€ for a simple sandwich. So, if you're around, Grandcafe Momus is the place to order this!


12 comments:

  1. Hey Irene! Walking outside can be so therapeutic. It's great exercise, lovely fresh air and you still saw some sights along the way. Sometimes it even helps you to think about things. Great meal afterwards! Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is really good to catch some fresh air and relaxing outside after a long winter and many studying evenings. And indeed it is almost therapeutical!

      Delete
  2. This scenery looks so amazing. I'd want to be outside walking too! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a very nice walk. I can't wait to go hiking again :)

      Delete
  3. Sounds like an amazing hike, Irene. That's a really long walk and I'm pretty sure given this beautiful scenery, the distance just disappears. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true! While the scenery's worth it you don't even feel the distance ahead :)

      Delete
  4. Hello doll!! What a gorgeous place...walking around there would be marvellous. I like wandering around places, it clears the mind and really calms the soul. Yummy food :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also think that walking is a great way to clear the mind. It is the perfect thing to do after a stressful period :)

      Delete
  5. oh wow, your day sounds like my ideal kind of day. being in chicago there aren't many nature type of places to hang out in, and i LOVE hiking. you're so lucky you're surrounded by all that!

    xo Marlen
    Messages on a Napkin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Marlen!
      I count myself lucky to live in a small place full of parks and surrounded by nature but I would love to visit Chicago some day, among many other American cities :)

      Delete
  6. Buena comida tras ese pedazo de paseo, 10km? hubiera muerto a la mitad, aunque reconozco que el paisaje es precioso y merece la pena.
    besito y preciosas las fotos, gracias por compartirlas Irene

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sí que estaba rico!
      10Km caminando no es tanto, aunque necesito ponerme en forma ya porque cuando empezó el camino de regreso ya no podía más :p

      Delete

Thanks for your comments!
I appreaciate your love and reactions.
I'll take a look at your blogs and I'll try to reply as soon as possible
Feel free to follow if you like :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...