Thursday, May 9, 2013

Eupen


May seems to be a great month in the Netherlands. Last week we had holidays on Monday and Tuesday (well, technically that was still April), this week, today and tomorrow are also holidays and in a week, Monday will be a bank holiday again. Wonderful! So many free days together to finally enjoy the nice spring weather and catch some sun rays. So, today I went for a small road trip around the region starting at the Drielandenpunt, the place where the Dutch, German and Belgian borders meet, then making it to Aachen in Germany and ending in Eupen, in Belgium, before coming back to Maastricht.

I had never been to Eupen before - and now I know that I hadn't missed that much - but still it was good to visit a new part of Belgium, a country where I lived for a year and which I have fond memories of. Many people, including me before living there, don't know that Belgium is divided in four different liguistic regions: Flanders, where people speak Dutch (though they like to call it Flemish); Wallonia, where people speak French; bilingual Brussels, where both Dutch and French are spoken; and the Eastern Cantons, where the official language is German. Eupen is the capital of the German-speaking community of Belgium, so now I can say that I've been to all linguistic regions in Belgium. Yey!

Eupen is a very small  and relaxed city with some lovely streets full of terraces to sit down and enjoy a cold drink on warm days like today. There are a couple of distinctive churchs as well, like the St. Nicholas Church in the photo. I have to say that it felt really weird to hear people speaking German knowing that I was in Belgium, as if these two things didn't go together. It was strange to read all signs in German with a French translation below.  However, the town was quite beautiful, with a somehow German soul, present on the classical façades, more German-a-like than Flemish, and the bakeries selling delicious handmade pastries. So, even if there was actually not much to see around, it is always nice to see something different once in a while and now being able to see that I've seen another side of Belgium which was totally new to me!

8 comments:

  1. Hey Irene! I'm so glad you're enjoying your time off. That's wonderful! Eupen sounds delightful. That church is beautiful and I'm picturing the pastries in my head. I want to thank you again for sending me those pictures. I really enjoyed looking at them. That was so thoughtful of you. Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad to read that you enjoyed the photos :D

      Delete
  2. It is great to have so many holidays to visit places and then...you show us,ejejej. I hope you enjoyed this new touristic visit. Kisses, Irene:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was nice, pero no había mucho que hacer jejeje

      Delete
  3. Eupen sounds like a lovely place to visit. That cathedral captures ones attention against the blue sky. Can't help staring at it watching the clouds move past the spires.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a really beautiful church! And a very quiet town, so not much more to see than this!

      Delete
  4. Wow sounds like a wonderful location. Gorgeous photo!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!
I appreaciate your love and reactions.
I'll take a look at your blogs and I'll try to reply as soon as possible
Feel free to follow if you like :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...