Thursday, May 30, 2013

¡Feliz día de Canarias!*

* which in English means Happy day of the Canary Islands!

Most countries proudly celebrate their identity at least once a year. National day, independence day, whichever name you call it, it's a day for celebration. Spain, however, is a bit weird in that department, as we don't have such a thing as a national holiday which brings us together in a memorable party - only the recent victories of our national football team has brought us to the streets to celebrate together as a country. Sure there are many famous celebrations, think of San Fermines or Feria de Seville, just to name a few, which are quite popular outside our borders. But to make up for that lack of national day we celebrate proudly our regions day and in the case of the Canary Islands, we also have a day for a each island and a day per town. Oh, do we love a good celebration! Because 30th May is the day of the Canary Islands, today I would like to introduce you to some of the basic ingredients of a great party in truly Canarian style.

First things first, the attire. When celebrating our regional pride, it is customary to wear the traditional costume. Each island has its very own design and within the bigger islands there are usually different versions to choose from. In the picture you can see the traditional costumes for men and women of Tenerife (La Orotava region). In the background, you can find the traditional female costumes of La Gomera and La Palma.


The main ingredient like in any good party is delicious food and drink. A very easy way to start is by cooking one of the most traditional dishes of the Canary Islands: wrinky potatoes with mojo sauce. Sadly, I don't have any recipe of my own but I was browsing online and found this tempting recipe which should be a good beginning. And don't forget that everything will taste better with some locally-produced wine.


And as any party goes, music has to be the finishing touch. The Canary Islands have a rich musical heritage. Certain songs and genres have endured decades and centuries and traditional dances are still praticed by many folk groups and enthusiastic partygoers - I even had to learn some typical Canarian dance routines when I was at high school! This video shows a traditional music style called isa and its typical dance; the group doing the singing is called Los Sabandeños. It is originally from Tenerife and is probably the most succesful group ever in Canarian folk music.



I think that by now you should already be in the mood to celebrate, I certainly am. That was just a brief introduction to the interesting culture of the Canary Islands which I hope you've enjoyed.

Have a lovely day and for everyone in the Canary Islands, feliz día de Canarias!

Fotos: Wikipedia.

14 comments:

  1. Very interesting post as always, Irene. Lovely costume. The music and dance are so festive! Feliz dia de Canarias :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Arni :)

      I always like sharing things from my home region and that was a great day to do so! I'm happy you like it!

      Delete
  2. That is so interesting Irene! I guess they feel (and everyone should do this) that EVERYDAY is a celebration of your culture and heritage. Love the traditional clothes, food and music. Very nice!
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good that you like it :)
      I also think that it is important to celebrate our culture and heritage to maintain it alive.

      Delete
  3. mmmmm.... adoro las papas con mojo picón....
    Que delicia!!!
    Espero que lo hayas pasado genial.
    Un beso,

    Trini
    http://yoadoroviajar.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Muchas gracias, Trini!

      Yo tb adoro las papas con mojo picón y mojo verde y las echo muchísimo de menos ...

      Delete
  4. This looks like so much fun! Feliz día de Canarias! I've never had Mojo Verde, but that recipe looks delicious. I am on board for anything with plenty of garlic and cilantro. And you also had me at local wine. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know what you find about it if you try the recipe ... I should give it a go as well, instead of buying prepared products which are not the great. Hopefully I'll be able to share my own recide some day :)

      Delete
  5. Muchísimas gracias por el comentario, es un lujo ver blogs diferentes y que sean de Tenerife! :)


    addictbeiconic.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias a tí también. A mí tb me gusta encontrarme con blogs hechos en Tenerife y con calidad :)

      Delete
  6. This looks like such a fun and colourful, and vibrant celebration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would say it is even better in reality :)

      Delete
  7. Ah! qué rabia! se me pasó este post el jueves. Jo, me hubiera gustado felicitarte por el día de tu tierra. Sorry, Irene, espero que fuera un gran día( aunque fuera de tu isla).Por cierto...qué ricas esas papas con mojo;)Tu tierra tiene un color especial. Bsinss, wpa:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, no te preocupes, Pilar! Gracias de todas formas.
      La verdad que lo único especial que hice por eldía de Canarias fue escribir este post. Como estoy super liada y solita ni me planteé cocinar o celebrarlo jejejje

      Delete

Thanks for your comments!
I appreaciate your love and reactions.
I'll take a look at your blogs and I'll try to reply as soon as possible
Feel free to follow if you like :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...