Wednesday, May 1, 2013

May 2013: An Unexpected Journey

Last month I started doing something long overdue: to read The Hobbit. One of my best friends was, and still is, a great fan of Tolkien. When we were at high schoool she could go on for hours talking about the Middle Earth and the Shire, the difference between orks and goblins or explaining the importance of the rings. In her finest moments she even compared me to an elf princess and eventually convinced me to borrow her some Tolkien books and discover his fascinating universe by myself. However, I didn't get far and never made it past the first chapter of The Hobbit. I found it tedious and after a couple of months trying and less than thirty pages read I returned the books to her. A few years later Peter Jackson filled the Tolkien imaginarium with detailed palaces and costumes, the scenic landscapes of New Zealand and, oh, Aragorn! I was reluctant at first, but in the end, an interest for all things Tolkien grew in me. I have watched the Lord of Rings trilogy a handful of times and I promised this dear friend that I would read the books. And so I am doing. Well, I'm currently busy with The Hobbit, but everything will come. And surprisingly, I am enjoying it! Probably, knowing the story helps but I also think that the original version in English is more precious than the Spanish translation and that makes the reading more pleasurable. I even delight myself with the songs and poems!

I bet that most of you are familiar with the story by now, the unexpected journey of Bilbo Baggins along thirteen dwarves and a wizard to fight a dragon in order to regain a long time lost castle and treasure. And even though we don't share our world with hobbits, wizards, dwarves and elves, life is still pretty much an unexpected journey for most of us. And that's part of its beauty.

My 365 photo journey follows its course and I just reached 33%. Can't believe I've been taking a photo a day for 33% of the days of the year, I'm more than satisfied. This is my favourite from April, spring blooming beautifully in Maastricht.You can check the whole month here.


Do you also enjoy Tolkien's stories? And Peter Jackson's film adaptations?
Enjoy the unexpected and have a lovely May!

14 comments:

  1. hi Irene!!!

    I came across to your blog and I really love your travelling posts and pictures.. I also love travelling and learning new cultures specially languages ;)

    hope to keep in touch with you! can't wait to see more from your travel posts!!!

    your new follower... xoxo,Meg of Sweet Gala's

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Meg!

      I'm happy you like it! I love travelling as well and learning foreing languages.

      Have a nice weekend :)

      Delete
  2. I was a bit lost when I watched The Hobbit, (I didn't read the series) but I noticed those who read the book were beaming with excitement. I had to keep them from telling us the complete story inside the cinema.
    Your photos in 365 Project feels like we're traveling with you. The Jaffa biscuit and pesto chicken looks yummy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was also totally lost the first time that I watched The Lord of Rings but now I know the (film) story quite well, so we'll see if I like the books as well!
      The Hobbit was also nice but it's a bit tiring that the story is split in three parts again.

      Delete
  3. That's something I must do too! I saw the movies,but feel I'm missing out because I didn't read the books. As you mentioned, everyone is so much more into it after reading. You've taken some lovely pictures Irene!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks,Kim!

      I also have the feeling that sometimes I'm missing on some parts of the story. That was one of the reasons to go and finally read the books.

      Delete
  4. Soy fan de Tolkien( he leído sus libros) y creo que Peter Jackson está haciendo un gran trabajo con su obra.Me encantó la trilogía del Señor de los anillos y El Hobbit tmb está muy bien. Bsinss:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A mí tb me han gustado bastante las pelis, la verdad que es un gran trabajo. Pero no me esperaba que fuese a hacer otra trilogía del Hobbit! Pensaba que serían dos películas y luego me enteré de que serían tres jajaja
      Beso!

      Delete
  5. My husband loves the LOTR books. I have only seen the movies. I haven't seen the Hobbit yet. I look forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I quite liked it. I'm now looking forward to the next Hobbit movies :)

      Delete
  6. I loved reading the hobbit as a kid! But I never really got into the Lord of the Rings. I found them to just be WAR WAR WAR WAR and that bored me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm also enjoying the Hobbit quite a lot. Let's see what happens when I start with the Lord of the Rings!

      Delete
  7. Vi la primera peli de la saga y se me hizo eterna...creo q las pelis tan fantásticas no son lo mio, aunque no me importaría viajar a Nueva Zelanda xq los paisajes tienen q ser una pasada.
    Preciosa la foto y enhorabuena por conseguir tus retos.
    Besote guapa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. jajajja a veces pasa, yo hay algunas pelis de acción que soy incapaz de ver enteras!
      Creo que a mí tampoco me importaría viajar a Nueva Zelanda en absoluto,debe ser impresionante!

      Delete

Thanks for your comments!
I appreaciate your love and reactions.
I'll take a look at your blogs and I'll try to reply as soon as possible
Feel free to follow if you like :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...