Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Three different countries at the Drielandenpunt

If there's something better than being in two countries at the same time, it must be being in three countries at the same time. Isn't it amazing to be able to say that you have been to three different countries not only in the same day but at the same moment? Last week I went for a small hike nearby the Drilandenpunt, which is the point where the Netherlands, Belgium and Germany meet. It also happens to be the highest point in the Netherlands, as you can see in the photos, at a mere 327.5 m - indeed, the Netherlands is a really flat country! The borderpoint is around 30 Km away from Maastricht and within walking distance of Vaals (The Netherlands) and Aachen (Germany). It is a beautifully green area surrounded by hilly forests and right where the three countries come together there's a tower from which you can take a look at the Netherlands, Belgium and Germany, which do not look so different from up above. Besides, there are a couple of bars, a play area for children and a laberynth. And of course, there are great posibilities for outdoors lovers, as you can hike as much as you want around, with routes taking you to Germany, Belgium or the Netherlands. 

I enjoyed the view from above and then took a walk around for an hour before heading to Eupen by car. These are some photos from the day I was in three different countries at the same time!






And just like I was in three different countries in just one day, I currently find myself in two blogging lands at the same time. I think I already wrote once that I was feeling slightly inclined to give wordpress a try and see if it was as great as people tell. Well, I think the time has finally come to make such a drastic move. I have been using Blogger for six years now for different blogging ventures and I have to say that I really like it. It is easy, it is intuitive and allows you a great share of customization for free, which is perfect when you're blogging professionally. However, Google's latest decisions seem to hint that they are trying to finally make its social network work by binding Blogger users to it as much as possible and that's something I'm not happy with. First they ended Google Reader and apparently GFC as well, now they're encouraging comments via G+ and of course, you're constantly suggested to link your blog to your G+ profile to increase your site traffic. And here's the thing: I like blogging and I think it's great that Facebook was invented as it makes it easier to keep in touch with friends and family who are far away and you don't see that often, but I think that those two things necessarily belong together. I understand that Google has fierce battle going on to try and prove that its network can have as many active users as Facebook but I'm not willing to take part in it. I feel really sad about parting ways with Blogger and after having put so much love and effort on this blog of mine. I have no clue about how I'll make this transition but just in case, I just got a wordpress account and you can find me there at awayfromtenerife.wordpress.com. Luckily for me, no one had taken that blog name before! I will keep on posting here until I'm 100% sure that I want to move. And of course, I will keep on reading all the blogs I've grown to love, as apparently it is possible to import my Google reading list to wordpress.

Has any of you tried wordpress before? Which one do you prefer? How are you coping with all these subtle changes steering Blogger to entwine with G+?

10 comments:

  1. Hey Irene! Love the pictures you took. Glad you had a great time. I don't like what's going on with Google either. I hate Google+. I just went with it, because I havent felt comfortable changing over to Wordpress. I'm just now developing a readership and didn't want to disturb that. Wordpress is much better though. The woman that designed my site mentioned it would give me more options. So I say go for it. I wish I could offer more advice, but I really don't know. Will definitely take note of your new web address.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for all your advice, Kim! I didn't know that you had someone designing your blog, it does indeed look really professional.
      I've also heard that WP is much better, but after giving it a try myself I'm not sure that the free version will live up to my expectations, so now I'm really hesitant.

      Delete
  2. I prefer google + but that is my experience.Very interesting post, Irene. You are a great traveller, always travelling . I envy you.Kisses:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. jeje ya, supongo que hay mucha gente contenta con G+. Supongo que yo estoy un poco paranoica con la cantidad de información que google está juntando mediante su gran proyecto de red social. En fin, deformación profesional de trabajar con tantos datos :p

      Delete
  3. Please keep us updated on your experiences on wordpress as you move along. I've never tried it. I think it's amazing to be in 3 countries in one day. :) We had an opportunity to have an early breakfast in Lille,France, a coffee in Terneuzen, Netherlands and a late lunch in Bruges Belgium. It was funny watching the mobile communication service change three times in a span of a few hours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a really nice daytrip as well! I think one of the best things of Europe is the possibility of reaching so many different places by car or train.
      I'm not really sure whether WP is really the right place to go, as I'm not willing to pay at all. So I might eventually stick to blogger a little longer ... we'll see!

      Delete
  4. Wordpress is very cool, the layouts look much more sleek I think. But I am comfortable on Google so I'll probably stick to it for a bit!
    love your photos as usual, you make me wanna travel :)

    xoxo Bree
    The Urban Umbrella
    http://www.theurbanumbrella.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really comfortable with Blogger because it gives you a lot for free. Wordpress, on the other hand, does not give you much if you're not willing to pay, so all its stylish templates are not almost uncustomizable (if such a word exists). So, I really wish that Google wasn't being that pushy with its social network, as I'm not so satisfied with the WP alternative and now I'm not so sure about switching.

      Delete
  5. If we're just talking a simple blog, i prefer blogger to wordpress. Like you I've been using blogger for a long time (10 years this December!). However, I've used wordpress quite a bit and it's pretty amazing for creating full websites that are easily customisable etc etc.

    Also, three countries in on day is VERY impressive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your insight view, Deidre!

      I've been reading a lot in the past days and also playing with WP and I also think that blogger is indeed better for a simple blog. It's totally free and you can transform your template the way you want and publish as much as you want for free, so I'm not so sure anymore about what to do ...

      Delete

Thanks for your comments!
I appreaciate your love and reactions.
I'll take a look at your blogs and I'll try to reply as soon as possible
Feel free to follow if you like :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...