Saturday, June 15, 2013

A day at the beach: Scheveningen

Last Saturday I decided to treat myself to a day at the beach, as a reward for having done my last exam. I was thinking about the different options and in the end I chose to go to Scheveningen, the beach by The Hague. It is a beautiful and family-friendly place with many options to practice water sports and it is easy to access by public transport. I was very excited about it because I hadn't been to the coast for a year and the weather had been incredibly warm the week before. After two hours and a half by train and then fifteen minutes by tram I made it to the beach and even though the sun was shining brightly, it wasn't very warm. Probably, because of such mild weather conditions, there weren't any big crowds around and the beach was very calm and enjoyable. As soon as I stepped out of the tram I spotted the sea and it was extremely rough and when I got nearer and took a closer look I saw that the shore was lined with thick, whitish foam formed by the sea, which looked a bit disgusting. So, even though the water was clean and I was really looking forward to strolling along the shore and get my feet into the water, I didn't dare.


Scheveningen is a wealthy, coastal neighbouhood of The Hague and it has a 3 Km long beach with fine, white sand and many, many shells. It can be reached by tram (lines 1 and 9,among others) and by bus - a bit less than 15 minutes away from the central station. There is a wide promenade besides the beach dotted with restaurants, cafés and souvenir shops and crowned by the impressive Kurhaus, a hotel and restaurant opened in the 19th century and slightly reminiscent of Amsterdam's central station and Rijksmuseum. The restaurants and cafés offer a great variety of food, from quick snacks and kebabs to more refined fish and meat options. I stopped at an understated restaurant with a small terrace which offered menus for 7.95€ including a main snack, a portion of frites and salad and a drink. I hadn't eaten any kibbeling in a long time and I went for it and I have to say that it was the best kibbeling I ever had! Kibbeling is a traditional Dutch snack, which is especially popular in all coastal towns, and consists of small battered pieces of fish, usually cod, seasoned with paprika and some other spices. It was so delicious! The biggest pieces I ever had and the fish was so tender and the seasoning so tasty ... my mouth is already watering just at the thought of it! After such a heart-warming meal I was ready so set foot on the beach and continue enjoying my day.




Along the main beach there are endless beach clubs, one after another and all of them looking really inviting. And there is the pier - the iconic pier - which starts at the promanade and crosses the beach to end at the ocean. It is a long corridor with more cafés and exhibitions inside. The beach is great for long walks and it is possible to take some wind-surfing or kite-boarding lessons. I decided to walk northwards, after having read that not far from the main beach there are some open beaches and a natural reserve of sand dunes. It is approximately 1 Km away and the walk is really relaxing. On the right side there are still several bunkers dating back from the WWII and on the left side the sea was waving to and fro to the shore incessantly. The walk along the sand dunes is even prettier as the sand begins to ondulate ahead and delicate vegetation and many a bird start to appear here and there. With the sea on the horizon it is a breathtaking sight, until you realize you're surrounded by many an aged man laying naked among the dunes. Ahem, let's move on!




It was a lovely day by the beach and while on the tram to Scheveningen I also enjoyed the views of The Hague and it reminded me of what a beautiful city The Hague is, especially when the sun is shining. I'm even thinking about going back to The Hague for a day in July if I have some time left. 

If you want to read more about the Dutch coast you can check a previous trip to Zandvoort aan Zee.
Have a lovely day!

12 comments:

  1. Al final va a ser verdad que las playas españolas son de las mejores de Europa . Son unas fotos muy bonitas, de todas formas, Irene. La foto en la que se ven los chiringuitos tiene muy buena pinta, seguro que tiene un ambientazo muy bueno.Bsinss, wpa:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. jajaja con tanta bandera azul más vale que sea cierto! Pero seguro que sí, que al menos en Europa, las playas españolas son de lo mejor que hay :)
      Aunque sin menospreciar al resto. Y sí, al atardecer hay un gran ambiente en los chiringuitos de las playas holandesas. Los atardeceres deben de ser muy especiales!

      Delete
  2. This is a great way to celebrate, Irene. Congrats! Kibbeling sounds delicious! I wonder what the temperature is there right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Arni :)

      Kibbeling was really delicious. When I went to the beach it was around 20º, I would say. Right now temperatures have gone crazy and we're around 35ºC. Unbelievable!

      Delete
  3. Me encantan las fotos de la playa, son preciosas, yo disfruté este finde de las playas de Benidorm. Que gustito de verano!!
    Acabo de descubrir tu blog y me ha encantado así que tienes nueva seguidora!
    Un besazo enorme
    Thiscanbeperfect.blogspot.com.es

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Muchísimas gracias, Sandra! Me alegro de que te guste el blog :)

      Benidorm tb debe ser muy agradable para descansar durante el fin de semana. Aprovecha mucho el verano!

      Un beso!

      Delete
  4. You traveled a distance to get there Irene! Wow! But it's so beautiful. Glad you enjoyed yourself and the food sounded delish. Have a great week!
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim!
      It was a long distance, but it's always nice to do special things every now and then and it doesn't feel that long when you have nice companion and conversation on board :)

      Delete
  5. These are such gorgeous photos, but I'm still sure it can't compare with real life!

    7% Solution​

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So right! It is even more beautiful in reality :)

      Delete
  6. hi Irene!!!!
    this is a beautiful place!!! my baby keep asking me when we can go to the beach.. i'm looking forward as well ;)
    congrats for the exam! you're well deserve for this treat :)
    take care and wish you a lovely week!!!
    xoxo,Meg of Sweet Gala's

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, how sweet is your baby! I hope that you can go all together to the beach any time soon :)

      Thanks for the good wishes, Meg! Have a wonderful week you too!

      Delete

Thanks for your comments!
I appreaciate your love and reactions.
I'll take a look at your blogs and I'll try to reply as soon as possible
Feel free to follow if you like :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...