Saturday, June 29, 2013

Locked hearts in Cologne

Have you heard about love padlocks? It the last decade it has become increasingly popular in Europe, especially after the succes of the novel I Want You, by the Italian writer Federico Moccia. This book inspired many couples in Rome to affix a padlock to the Ponte Milvio as a sign of their endless love this trend  seems to know no frontiers as now many European countries have at least one city with a bridge covered by love padlocks.


I was in Cologne today and I found out that the Hohenzollern Bridge is covered love padlocks. Big and small ones, new and old, many colourful padlocks and some heart-shaped plates were attached to both sides of the bridge, especially to the right side. Cologne was probably the first place in Germany where love padlocks started to appear. The German railway company wanted to have them removed, however, people opposed and until now the number of padlocks just keeps growing.


If you're thinking about declaring your endless love to the world with a love padlock, tradition -if there's already such thing - says that you should write your name on it, as well as the name of your loved one. The you can just lock it, better in company of your loved one, and throw the key to the river. After that your love should last forever, well, at least your padlock will.




What do you think about this idea? Have you seen these love padlocks somewhere?

Have a lovely weekend!

9 comments:

  1. Pero también en Colonia!!? de verdad, la gente es más poco original con lo de los "candaditos"; ya lo he visto en Roma, en París...Bsinss, Irene:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. jajaja yo pensé lo mismo! Aunque nunca los había visto en otra ciudad porque tampoco es que me llamase mucho la atención. Pero sí, de original poco.

      Delete
  2. Yo lo he visto hasta en vallas cutres de parques en Valencia, la verdad que es un detalle bonito pero ya roza lo poco original, aun así reconozco que si el puente es bonito queda chulo.
    Buen domingo guapa!
    Besote

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yo nunca lo había visto en ningún sitio,aunque sí que había oído hablar de ello. La verdad que en el puente se veía bonito, aunque entiendo que lo quieran quitar en algún momento.

      Delete
  3. I have seen photos, but I've never seen an actual love padlock wall in real life. Very sweet concept.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ihad read about it as well, but I had enver seen it either. It was a surprise and the whole bridge looked beautiful but I understand as well that the public bodies in charge of the maintenance of these bridges find it annoying. It's a tricky issue!

      Delete
  4. Irene, thank you so much for explaining this. I saw a picture recently but didn't know the reasoning behind it. I think it's romantic. HaHaHa I can only imagine how many there are. This was a great post. I learned something new! Wishing you a wonderful week.
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim, I'm glad you like it!
      I had read about it before but I had never seen it - I'm not even sure that I had seen some picture. It was nice to see and there were some teenage girls wandering around trying to guess the many love stories locked at the bridge. So funny!

      Delete
  5. I for one like this tradition. But I am sucker for things like that... <3

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!
I appreaciate your love and reactions.
I'll take a look at your blogs and I'll try to reply as soon as possible
Feel free to follow if you like :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...