Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Maastricht salutes the Royals

Following the recent coronation of Willem-Alexander as the new king of the Netherlands, King Willem-Alexander and Queen Máxima have embarked on a short tour around all twelve provinces of the Netherlands. With a very hectic and fast-paced schedule of two provinces per day, today they finish their royal tour of the Netherlands in Limburg and North Brabant. And the tour began early this morning right in Maastricht. And there I was to see them sailing along the Maas river amid rowers and boats. It all happened really quickly. At 9.07am a couple of cannon shots announced the start of the parade. Rowers of Maastricht University (as well as of Aachen and Liege Universities) preceded the cruise boat of the royal couple. Willem-Alexander and Maxima were simling on the upper deck, waving their hands to all the people who had come to greet them over the bridges and at the banks of the river. By 9.20am the parade was already over - well, Maastricht is a small city after all. Several organizations had put some acts together at the bank of the river to showcase the lively cultural scene of Maastricht.

I was wandering around some 15 minutes earlier to make sure that I had a good spot to watch the celebration but being Wednesday, it wasn't as crowded as I expected it to be. I was on the first row between an Australian couple and a woman whose husband was on one of the smaller boats sailing along. I am pretty sure that I look quite stupid waving my left hand while trying to take photos with my right hand, but it was lovely to see them - a lifelong memory! So, here are some photos of their quick visit to Maastricht. Sadly, my camera seems to have just broken. The zoom control does not work and I have the feeling that photos are not that sharp anymore (maybe I'm just being paranoic). Time for an upgrade? 






You might have noticed that I'm doing some cosmetical changes to the blog layout. I'd like to make it look more polished, but as I am dealing with all the technicalities myself and my HTML knowledge is not as sound as I wish it was, I can only proceed by trial and error, which means that I might be doing many slight changes in the upcoming weeks before finding the perfect formula. In the meantime, bear with me -pleaaase - and let me know what you think.

Have a lovely day!

6 comments:

  1. How exciting Irene!!! It's always tricky with an event. You're trying to watch, but also want to capture the moment. Does your camera have a sport or action setting for quick shots? I've never used it, but it's one of the features on my phone. I don't know. I'm a camera novice, so if i sound stupid please disregard. Love the layout of your blog! It looks good! You've done a great job :D
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nooo, you don't sound stupid at all, don't ever say that!
      I'm not sure whether my camera has that function because it's just a digital compact camera and it's already quite old but I should do some research :)

      Delete
  2. Qué bonito!! ME encantó cuando estuve en Holanda de vacaciones...y cómo es vivir allí?? :)
    Besitos y feliz fin de guapaaa
    www.laotracolumandecarrie.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sí, Holanda tiene rincones preciosos y la verdad que es muy tranquilo para vivir, no me puedo quejar :)
      Me va a dar pena irme jejeje
      Feliz fin de semana a tí tb!

      Delete
  3. I like the new layout and welcome image of your blog. Royal Parade on water looks like a wonderful event to cherish. The photo with lovely women with their coiffure, it's like being in the past.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Arni, I'm glad you like it :)

      The women with the antique coiffures were wearing really beautifully crafted arty dresses, it's a pity that they cannot be fully appreaciated in the photo.

      Delete

Thanks for your comments!
I appreaciate your love and reactions.
I'll take a look at your blogs and I'll try to reply as soon as possible
Feel free to follow if you like :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...