Monday, August 12, 2013

Lounging by the Rhine

Sunday morning and the sun is shining brightly. The sky is bluer than blue, almost cyan blue, and some clouds roll fast from time to time. It is nicely warm and many people are already outside enjoying the nice weather. Summer days in Basel are something glorious! With temperatures around 30ºC most days in July and August, it is definitely the time to stay out late and make the most of the long days filled with sunlight. Some spend their days in the park and even barbaque there in the evenings, some take their bikes out for a ride, others sip a chill drink at a terrace and some others sit by the Rhine to soak up some sunrays or even dare to take a swim in the fast-flowing waters of the river.

Ah, the Rhine, probably my favourite place in town! The Rhine divides Basel in two parts, Grossbasel and Kleinbasel, and Basel is the only Swiss city lying at both sides of the river, as for the rest of the country the Rhine marks the natural border with Germany. Ever since I visited Basel for the first time three years ago I have been fascinated by the Rhine. I absolutely enjoy my walks to the Rhine even if it's just to take a look at its water, sometimes blue, sometimes brownish and some days even emerald green. Any stroll along the promenade will let go of all my sorrows, sitting on the banks of the Rhine reading a book will make me forget any worries I might have and having a cold freshmade ice-tea at any of the terraces around will refresh even the hottest days. The Rhine comes alive during the summer. Everyday people go for a swim in the part of the river where it is allowed, the banks are crowded day and night and a special boat carries passengers, mostly tourists, from one side to the other (I don't know how much a trip costs). Special events and live concerts are also organized at the Rhine, there was once a representation of Aida, the famous opera by Verdi, on a platform on the river.

I really like spending some time by the Rhine during the weekends and this weekend the weather was simply amazing here in Basel. I lounged around both Saturday and Sunday and had fun taking some photos and listening so some music on Saturday, as this weekend was the Open Air Basel (in German), a small festival that brings together lesser known bands to play on the Rhine. Here are some photos of this past gorgeous weekend!








Did you have a good weekend? What were you up to?
Have a lovely week!

7 comments:

  1. Qué bonitas fotos! especialmente las tres últimas. Pensé que en centro europa los veranos eran más frescos pero si dices que podéis tener 30 grados, eso es una temperatura muy agradable. Me alegro de que hayas pasado un buen fin de semana a las orillas del Rhin, Irene.Bss:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. La verdad que estoy sorprendida con lo bien que quedaron las fotos al anochecer sin flash ... estoy intentando mejorar y por fin después de meses estancada veo algunos progresos, así que me alegro de que te gusten :)

      Aquí en Basilea casi siempre hay buenos verano con temperaturas altas. Y entre eso y el verano tan caluroso que hubo en Holanda este año empiezo ya a tener un morenito casi que de Tenerife!

      Delete
  2. Irene, I'm in awe of that beautiful bridge and statue. I could sit there for days and just look at things. It's so gorgeous!
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is really beautiful! So far I've always been lucky to live in beautiful cities and I couls also spend many a day by the Rhine river in Basel!

      Delete
  3. These pictures are so beautiful, and you are so lucky to experience such great places! Sadly, we have not experienced much of a summer here, so I long for the days that you describe so eloquently :)

    WWW.ROXTHEFOX.COM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I count myself very lucky indeed!
      Sorry to read that this summer wasn't that good at your homeplace. I, on the contrary, long already for chill autumn days, as I'm more an autumn/winter girl :)

      Delete
  4. Fantastic shots... I'd love to be there now! Summer here is good... but oh so hot. We are the lucky 110* people. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!
I appreaciate your love and reactions.
I'll take a look at your blogs and I'll try to reply as soon as possible
Feel free to follow if you like :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...