Tuesday, October 1, 2013

October 2013: Living out of my suitcase

When I first went back home to my parents in Tenerife after living in Belgium for a whole year my big suitcase stayed in my room unpacked for a month or so. I told myself I would have to figure out how to fit all those winter clothes in my already full wardrobe but somehow I knew it was more a rebellious act, as if I was trying to pretend that my adventurous year in Europe wasn't over. I didn't think anything of it.

When I went back to Tenerife after spending four months with Boyfriend in Switzerland I never fully unpacked my luggage. My big suitcase lay on the floor of my bedroom for almost half a year until I finally left again and moved to the Netherlands with him. After a month and a half I realized that not unpacking was no longer a sign of rebellion but a sympton of discontent. I felt as if I no longer belonged there and I knew that a suitcase on the floor was only waiting for me to leave again for the next adventure.

When I arrived in Switzerland this summer I finally felt that I was ready and looking forward to settling down after years of wandering since I first went to study in Belgium. I wanted to unpack so badly and yet, almost all my clothes are still inside my suitcases. Living with the in-laws there's no much space around and my big suitcase serves as a modest wardrobe. For the first time in years I'm struggling with seeing my suitcase lying on the floor of the bedroom and I can't hardly wait until the day that Boyfriend and I move to our own appartment with our very own wardrobe. I can already picture my dresses, jeans, shirts and skirts resting on wooden hangers and the thirts and jumpers neatly folded on the shelves aside. I just don't know how long it'll take before I can finally unpack but I know that for the first time in years I'm ready to settle down and call this place home. After all, home is where the heart is, or so they say!

September has gone in the blink of an eye. I spent the first week in Tenerife and then I moved back to Basel and I didn't forget to take a photo a day in between. I'm not 100% sure that this is my favourite photo of the month, as I loved some of the photos I took in gorgeous Tenerife. But as I had already posted most of them in this Snapshots of Tenerife post, I decided to share this pretty sunset in Basel. You can view the whole month of September here.


Have you ever felt as if you were living out of a suitcase? 
Ever struggled to feel at home when moving too often?
Have a cosy October!

Bloglovin' | Twitter | Instagram | Pinterest

{Linking up with Postcards from Rachel for the Expat Diaries}

9 comments:

  1. Me he movido muy poco en mi vida, solamente de la casa paterna al hogar conyugal y algunos viajes de vacaciones en estos 29 años de matrimonio... si, tengo una vida muy aburrida, jajaja. Yo creo que el hecho de una maleta a medio hacer en el suelo del dormitorio no es más que la compañera de un alma inquieta como la tuya. Muchos besos, querida Irene.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can relate to this post. Traveling and moving around is a wonderful thing, but it always results in feeling completely lost. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jajajaj, yo soy de las que estoy deseando llegar a mi casa cuando viajo fuera y sacar todo de la maleta : lo de la lavadora a la lavadora, la bolsa de aseo a su sitio..y así todo. Soy muy casera y lo paso bastante mal cuando salgo fuera mucho tiempo.Hubo un tiempo que me negaba a dormir en otra cama que no fuera la mía.
    La foto no sé si será la mejor pero a mí desde luego me encanta. Una luz y unos colores muy bonitos.Bss, Irene:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me alegro de que te guste la foto :)
      La verdad que yo no he tenido muchos problemas con dormir fuera de casa, supongo que porque ya desde pequeña mis padres me mandaban a a pasar las vacaciones en la península con la familia. Y bueno, cuando vuelvo de viaje tb lo primero que hago es meter casi toda la ropa en la lavadora, pero en estos momentos, después de la lavadora vuelve a la maleta jejeje

      Delete
  4. For me it is really confusing to have basically two homes. It is a weird feeling, I don't know how to describe it but you always miss something, no matter where you are.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi irene! i've had that feeling on a much smaller scale. so i can definitely relate to what you're going through. there's that feeling, that doesn't allow you to settle or relax. you're there, but you know it's not permanent. "home" wherever it may be, has a very different feel to it. there's contentment. you always know when a place is for you.
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You got it so right! That's exactly the feeling I get when I know I'm not in a place where I'll stay for a longer time. But just like you say, when it's right you know :)

      Delete
  6. I found myself nodding while reading your post. I had a similar feeling to my previous jobs. I didn't really decorate my cubicle or office desk. No photos nor keepsakes, nothing. Just a pen holder and the file boxes. I always felt, the job was temporary even though I stayed in each and every company for many years. When I moved to my present job, I was excited to have my own work space feel more at home. There are more personal belongings on my desk now than there were previously.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I know exactly what you mean. I didn't add any personal touch to my room in Antwerp, when I first moved abroad because I knew for certain that I would only be there for a year. And even when I moved to Maastricht with my boyfriend, we didn't change anything in the decoration because that was a temporary home as well, even if I stayed longer than expected. Now we're really looking for a place we can furnish ourselves with all our personal belongings :)

      Delete

Thanks for your comments!
I appreaciate your love and reactions.
I'll take a look at your blogs and I'll try to reply as soon as possible
Feel free to follow if you like :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...