Wednesday, December 25, 2013

My post for Christmas: a recipe, a song and a wish

Though I have named this post 'A recipe, a song and a wish', I think I will start right at the end because it is already Christmas Day and I'm sure that reading blogs is the last thing on your minds today and tomorrow.
Thus, without further ado, I want to wish you all a

MERRY, MERRY CHRISTMAS!

May you all have a wonderful holiday in the company of your loved ones and enjoy these days, whether snowy or sunny.

And now, let's move on to some other Christmassy things. Some ten years ago my brother and I went on a family holiday to London and being on the festive mood, we bought a box of mince pies in a local supermarket (maybe Tesco, maybe Sainsbury's, I don't really remember). We had read about them, we wanted to try them and oh, were we addicted! Ever since that pre-Christmas London trip we have tried to get our hands on some mince pies year after year but in the past three years we haven't kept up with our little tradition. However, this year I've decided to give homebaked mince pies a try and the result was not too bad! Perhaps they're not too photgenic and I still haven't figured out how to get the pastry right but they taste great, almost like the real stuff! I was doing my research for a while and because I couldn't buy mincemeat in Switzerland and I no longer had a whole month to store homemade mincemeat in a cool place, I decided to mix these two recipes. I made this quick mincemeat by David Lebovitz and I can tell you it tasted amazingly! All christmassy flavours, sweet and spicy, are there and if you want you can add a chopped apple to it as well. Besides, unlike most recipes for mincemeat I found online, this one doesn't have any suetin it, so it is totally fuss-free. For the pastry I went for this mince pies recipe by Nigella Lawson. As I said, I haven't got it completely right - probably I'm adding too much butter or too much orange juice - but it does match the mincemeat in a nice way and next year I might even give her cranberry mincemeat a try. If you try it, let me know how it goes.


And finally, a song for you. I could have gone for something classic but instead I'm giving you Katy Perry. I love her latest single and I think it's quite an appropriate song for this time of the year. After all, looking past the bright lights, copious eating and presents overload, Christmas is still a celebration of love, love in its purest form. And there is no better time in the year to remember those dear and near and give them some love unconditionally. Katy said it first!



That was all for today. I'm off to enjoy some more homemade mince pies while watching some christmassy TV with those close to my heart.

Love, Irene

8 comments:

  1. Merry Christmas Irene!!! Happy Holidays to you doll! This post was absolutely beautiful. I love that song. I've never tried a mince pie. A reader from London is sending me one to try. I can't wait to taste it. I bet the one's you had were good. I hope you're having a lovely Christmas! God Bless and Enjoy!
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, let me know if you like them, Kim! They're definitely one of my favourite Christmas treats :)
      And I'm happy I tried to bake them, it was scary but now I know I can have some every Christmas!

      Delete
  2. Feliz Navidad, Irene!!! te deseo lo mejor para estos días .Nunca he probado los mince pies y la canción de Kate Perry no la había oído pero me gustan mucho sus canciones.Bss:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A mí tb me gustan mucho las canciones de Katy Perry y esta lleva ya más o menos un mes sonando aquí todos los días en la radio.
      Muchas gracias por las felicitaciones, espero que pasases unas fiestas geniales ... y sigas disfrutando de cumple, año nuevo y reyes :)

      Delete
  3. Merry merry Christmas! Hope you are having a wonderful time! You'll get an email from me soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Katrin! I hope you're enjoying your holiday as well :)

      Delete
  4. Looks like you had a lovely Christmas. :) Homemade pies is just heartwarming. I haven't tried mince pies before but they do look mouthwatering.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was quite nice, with homemade pies and a Grey's Anatomy marathon :)
      I really like baking and I think that homebaked treats always taste better!

      Delete

Thanks for your comments!
I appreaciate your love and reactions.
I'll take a look at your blogs and I'll try to reply as soon as possible
Feel free to follow if you like :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...