Friday, January 10, 2014

365 project: a photo a day in 2013

Last year, on 1st January 2013 I decided to take up a 365 project aiming to take a photo a day for 365 days in a row. That's a whole year in photos and it didn't look like an easy task to accomplish. Now that we're well into 2014, those 365 days are over and I can tell you that it wasn't an easy task to accomplish but I made it! I survived it and learnt a few lessons throughout the year. Lessons about photography and lesosns about me.

First of all, I have to say that I didn't really put 365 photos together. I took way more than 365 photos - I think I've taken nearly 6000 photos in 2013 - but I missed two days in November so I only reached 99% on the progress counter of my project. But to me that feels like 100% and counts as a victory. The journey wasn't easy, though. The first months I was really excited about it and tried hard to get insightful and pretty pictures. But somewhere along the way, life got in between and I needed to spend more and more time with my books and less time toying around with my camera so I started to shoot more filler photos than I would have liked to. And once I was down this road I found it difficult to return to the good old habits. Still, I continued taking a photo a day and made it through and that's why I count it as a victory. However, I didn't pictured as many cuppas and study notes I thought I would - here are some numbers to prove it:

Cups of tea - 10
Study notes - 8
Countries featured - 6 (Spain, the Netherlands, Germany, Belgium, Switzerland and France)
Christmas trees- 7
Photos of food - 40 (how did that happen?! When did I become a foodie?!!!)

I think the most valuable lesson I learnt about myself is that I am able to commit to something in the long term and do it. Usually, my interest in new things wears off quickly and as soon as the novelty is gone I move onto something new. However, this time I've managed to stick to this project for a whole year and even when after a month of two of bad photos I felt totally disillusioned about it I carried on taking a photo a day. I've also learnt that I'm probably way too critic with myself, as I can already spot a hundred flaws in the photos I took a year ago, which back then I though were ok. Anyway, back to photography I think that the most important lesson I've learnt is that I still have a lot to learn. Oh, and probably that I really enjoy taking photos of food.

So, that was my 365 project in a nutshell and you can check the results here. Would I go through all this again? Definitely! Life may not be more beautiful with a photo a day but it really seems so and I would really like to do it again sometime. Right now I need a short break and some stability in my life before I can fully commit to it again but I may start again halfway through this year or next year. And I would really recommend it to anyone, especially to anyone willing to improve his/her photography skills. You don't know how much fun you can have with your camera until you go out there the two of you.

These are some of my favourite moments in pictures.
Have a lovely weekend!














9 comments:

  1. Son unas fotos muy bonitas! anímate a empezar el proyecto otra vez este año ; a mí me ha gustado mucho la idea. En cuanto a lo de tu última frase ...yo creo que las mejores fotos (siempre )son las que hace el ojo, creo que me entiendes. Bss, Irene:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sí que te entiendo ;) Yo tb pienso que es muy importante estar presente y disfrutar el momento. Sobre todo en los tiempos que corren de instagram, twitter y demás cosas instántaneas e intrascendentes.
      Un beso!

      Delete
  2. Love all your pictures! Thanks so much for sharing! Can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Irene, I just discovered your blog and am so glad I did. I'm also a Canaria (Tinerfeña, de hecho!) living abroad and blogging about it. I'm currently living in London, but I've been away now for a long time, having lived in Germany, Switzerland and different cities around Spain.

    I love the idea of a 365 project and have always hoped to do one myself actually - but I never seem to have the consistency to do it (there's always something that comes in my way... my life tends to be quite unpredictable).

    Anyway, lovely to "meet" you - looking forward to more posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks (again)for your comment! I'm glad I found your blog as well and I can read a bit about your adventures in Europe and the rest of the world. So much change in so little time :)

      Delete
  4. Hope you're having a lovely weekend. Love all of the photos. I understand why these are your favorites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hehe I specially like the last two - boyfriend's birthday and mine, always good memories :)

      Delete
  5. Irene, this was an awesome project and you my friend are an amazing photographer. These pictures are lovely. You were very successful and should feel proud. Glad you are thinking about continuing. You should.
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you once again for your kind words, Kim! Hopefully I'll give it another try soon - maybe you'd like to join me :D

      Delete

Thanks for your comments!
I appreaciate your love and reactions.
I'll take a look at your blogs and I'll try to reply as soon as possible
Feel free to follow if you like :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...