Wednesday, January 29, 2014

A winter day in Lucerne

I had already been once to Lucerne on a hot summer day during my first trip to Switzerland. Many people told me about how charming Lucerne was with its lake right in the middle of the town, the pretty wooden bridges which have seen centuries of history pass by and the magnificent Alps on the background. But back then, Lucerne failed to impress me - something very likely to happen when everyone praise a place that much. However, during this second visit to Lucerne I tried and looked at it as if I had never seen it before and somehow Lucerne did seduce me.


It was freezing cold when I arrived to Lucerne a couple of weeks ago. Temperatures were still above zero but the snow on the mountains and but the chilly breeze from the lake made it seem colder than it really was. Besides, the sky was heavily overcast and it seemed as if it was going to rain any minute soon but around midday the clouds disappeared and the sky turned a bright shade of cyan blue. The coldness didn't stop the many tourists in town to enjoy the wonderful sights that Lucerne has to offer. Right in the middle of Switzerland, Lucerne is located on one of the extremes of the lake named after the city (or is it the other way round?) and watches over the Alps from the distance. It is no wonder then that Lucerne is a must-see for most tourists coming to Switzerland, especially for first-timers - so it was an obvious choice when I was tailoring an itinerary for my parents and brother, who were visiting Switzerland for the first time.



Out of the train station, the first hint of Lucerne's beauty is the sight of Lake Lucerne with the snowy Alps blurred on the horizon. The city centre, which dates back from medieval times, is at the other side of the lake and the best way to get there is by walking along the Kapellbrücke, a 14th century wooden bridge (though is was recently reconstructed after a fire). The Kapellbrücke has a wooden roof decorated with paintings depicting scenes from Swiss history and mythology. A bit further, there is a another wooden bridge, the Spreuerbrücke, very similar to the Kapellbrücke. The wooden bridges over the lake are probably the most emblematic sight of Lucerne and if you ever visit and do only one thing, do stroll along these bridges.



It goes without saying that Lucerne is an expensive city - much like everything in Switzerland - but just like the best things in life are free, Lucerne can also be enjoyed for free. The small city centre is a maze of cobbled streets and alleys with colourful houses everywhere. One of the things I liked more about Lucerne, besides the breathtaking views of the Alps covered in snow, were the frescoes that adorned most façades. Not only were houses painted in many different colours but they were often also embellished with paintings of trees and leaves,  Swiss flags and shields, and medieval peasants and knights. It was like being in an open-air art museum. Or a museum of historical street art.





And this is how I spent a winter day in Lucerne. The city has much more to offer but for a first introduction to the charms of Lucerne we steered clear of the museums and distant interesting sites. Maybe next time!

Have a lovely Wednesday!







13 comments:

  1. Preciosas estas fotos! tiene que tener un encanto especial esta ciudad pero es cierto que da la sensación de que tiene que hacer un frío espantoso. En verano seguro que se está genial. Bss:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Si que hacia frío! La verdad que creo que ese fue el día más frío de 2014 porque desde entonces no ha hecho frío. A ver sí aunque sea en febrero hay algo de nieve :)

      Delete
  2. I can't believe I have never been there! Thanks for sharing your fantastic pictures. The city loks so picturesque! I hope I can visit someday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lucerne is so charming. I would love to walk through it. I love the waterway inbetween the buildings and cobbled streets. Love the paintings and details on the buildings. So beautiful.
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is truly beautiful! I think you would enjoy it. And all the small shops and boutiques as well :)

      Delete
  4. I don't know if this is a real memory or not but I think I've been there! That fountain just brought back memories from a school trip when I was 12 but of course I don't remember much of that so it's nice to see more pictures. And how nice it looks when the sun comes out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe that's funny, sometimes I also remember places where I've never been but maybe I've seen them in dreams.
      If your school trip was to Switzerland it is very likely that you were there, I think!

      Delete
  5. It looks lovely - I have never been, but I love the photography you shared.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've only heard stories about Lucerne but have never seen photos of it. It's wonderful to see Lucerne up close and your images make me feel like I'm really there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't really know anything about it until I came to Switzerland for the first time - actually, I didn't know anything about Switzerland at all hehe But I'm amazed by its beauty and I try to capture those feautures with my camera as good as I can :)

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. WOW! It was that beautiful and even better when the sun came out!

      Delete

Thanks for your comments!
I appreaciate your love and reactions.
I'll take a look at your blogs and I'll try to reply as soon as possible
Feel free to follow if you like :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...