Saturday, January 4, 2014

The Starbucks way of traveling

The holiday season is definitely over and there is finally some time to breathe in and out and relax a little. I have been quite absent from blogland in the last couple of weeks, not posting too much and not commenting enough but you know how it goes: last minute Christmas shopping, cooking for many people than you're used to, overeating, undersleeping (I'm not sure such a verb exists but you probably get the idea), and the list goes on. Sometimes, life simply gets in the way of blogging and this is especially true during Christmas time.

This year Boyfriend and I have spent Christmas together for the first time ever and last week my parents and little brother flew to Switzerland for the first time to celebrate NYE with us. It has been holidays of first times for all of us and it's been a truly wonderful holidays. I introduced Basel to my parents, we traveled a bit around Switzerland, crossed borders to France and Germany and enjoyed a typically Swiss dinner for NYE - raclette, sooo good! A whole week of family holidays bliss, except that it isn't. Family holidays are the kind of holidays that can drive even the sanest person mad. Dad wants to take a photo too many, mum is desperate to discover all these cute shops she has never seen before and my brother just wants to stop and enjoy a caramel cappuccino at any Starbucks that comes across his way. And I? Well, I'm the kind of daytripper who wants to see as much as possible and buy a couple of postcards before going back home. Oh, and I probably take a photo too many as well. Add to that temperatures close to zero, which feel like freezing for people who have just arrived from the mild climate of the Canary Islands, and this is the most genuine recipe for a disastrous holiday.

Yesterday we went to Freiburg im Breisgau and in the middle of a heated argument about where we should go next my brother suddenly disappeared. After looking for him during ten minutes he finally made a call saying that he had gone to the nearest Starbucks and that he would be glad to wait for us there. And so he did. He sat carelessly outside for an hour with his grande cappuccino with caramel, enjoying some peace of mind until we arrived to bother him with some more shopping plans. But before hitting the shops again, we all paused for a while and I tried a delicious Christmas muffin before they go out of stock until next December.

 Lesson learnt: never underestimate the power of Starbucks to pull a family together while on the road.


That was the end of 2013 and beginning of 2014 for me. I did some great traveling around this part of Europe and I have some good stories to tell you. I've discovered a couple of lovely places nearby and I have some pretty pictures to share with you. And I'm really hoping that 2014 will be a fantastic year of blogging for me and all of you who enjoy sharing a part of you via a blog. In the meantime, I hope that you had a wonderful entrance into this new year and wish you (again) all the best for 2014!

17 comments:

  1. Lots of hugs, kisses... and a lot of love also, from your missing little bro!
    Don't forget I'll be back in summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha looking forward to seeing you in the summer, then!
      Miss you xxxxx

      Delete
  2. That sounds vaguely familiar :) It's great you got to spend some time with your family though! And raclette... I definitely have to try that some day because it sounds mouthwatering. Happy 2014!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hehe I guess everyone has similar experiences during family holidays :)
      I hope that you get to try raclette soon because it is really delicious - and I'm not even a big cheese eater! Happy 2014 to you as well!

      Delete
  3. Por lo que cuentas deben de haber sido unas Navidades muy especiales; me alegro de que las disfrutaras junto a tu familia enseñándoles Suiza. Ah! y por lo del blog, no te preocupes porque estos días hemos estado todas más relajadas. Bss, Irene:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sí, la verdad que han sido unas navidades especiales :)
      Ya me imagino que en estas fechas mucha gente está más pendiente del lío navideño que de llevar un blog y me parece bien, es importante disfrutar del momento en el mundo real!
      Un beso enorme y felices reyes :)

      Delete
  4. Diooooossss, tengo mono de viajar y de Europa en especial. Será tarde para pedir deseos de principio de año?? ;-)
    Besitos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. jajajaj muchas gracias por tu comentario, Inma! Yo tb tengo muchas ganas de viajar ... más :D

      Delete
  5. Diooooossss, tengo mono de viajar y de Europa en especial. Será tarde para pedir deseos de principio de año?? ;-)
    Besitos

    ReplyDelete
  6. so nice and beautiful blog ! :* Do u wanna follow each other ? If yes , follow me and I ll follow u back as soon as it possible :*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting! I'm glad to read you enjoyed my blog :)

      Delete
  7. Irene, I couldn't help but chuckle at your story. Family, no matter what nationality or what culture can be difficult. It's hard trying to fit in what everyone wants to do. I think you handled it well. They'll have to come more often. HaHaHa I think you made for a great host. Glad everyone spent time with one another. You'll always have those memories. I think I would've gone to Starbucks too! LOL I had a little rocky start to 2014, nothing alarming but just little nuisances. Hopefully they will dissipate and I can carry on. Great post doll.
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kim! I hope that you're already feeling your best :)
      You're so right, family can be tricky but in the end it is always nice to spend time together. Hopefully they'll be back soon and I'll try and plan everything better next time!

      Delete
  8. Haha, I can imagine you and your Dad taking photos non stop while your brother is looking for the nearest Starbucks. I thought raclette is an amazing way to bring the family together but I guess I'm wrong. :) Starbucks it is. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hehe I also think that raclette is an amazing way to bring people together but it may need more moderation than Starbucks. I'm already working on my diet plan for 2014 anyway to make sure I can keep on enjoying as much raclette as I want :D

      Delete
  9. Happy 2014! I can't wait to see some of your new discoveries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh, I can't wait to share either :)
      Happy 2014 to you as well, Ashley!

      Delete

Thanks for your comments!
I appreaciate your love and reactions.
I'll take a look at your blogs and I'll try to reply as soon as possible
Feel free to follow if you like :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...