Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Beatenberg, a mountain with a view

Life has been quite hectic around here since the beginning of February. Birthdays, dinners with friends, unexpected trips on a very short notice, you name it, and it seems that March will be equally stressful. With so much going on I've been feeling a bit overwhelmed lately and yearning for a break and in Switzerland and for me that usually means a quick getaway to the mountains.


Last Sunday I thought that it would be nice to let go of all my worries for one day and treat myself to a short roadtrip to see some snow on the Swiss mountains. Said and done, Boyfriend and I left Basel early in the morning and we drove to Interlaken, one of my favoutrite places in Switzerland. Interlaken is a small village in the Bernese Oberland region of Switzerland, tucked in the Alps and with a big lake to each side, as the name suggests. Interlaken has long been an alluring destination for all kind of thrill-seekers, as the surroundings offer many possibilities to practice adventure sports, both during winter and summer. True story: after going to Interlaken for the first time I was so in awe of the landscape that I thought the best way to enjoy it would be from the sky, gently balancing on a paraglide, despite my fear of flying. Then I watched the French blockbuster The Intouchables and decided that, more than probably, this is never happening.


The views in Interlaken are always breathtaking but this winter is being way too mild in Switzerland so the only snow around was high in the distant Alps and after a light lunch we drove further to Beatenberg. It is both the name of the mountain and the village on the mountainside. The way up is really picturesque, as the road traverses the village dotted with the typical wooden chalets that baound in the Alps regions and snow begins to appear on the sides of the road. Once up there, the mountain views on the valley are really breathtaking. Interlaken and the nearby lakes, Thunersee and Brienzersee can be glimpsed from above. The cute wooden buildings look like hundreds of dollhouses from the distance, set in a dreamy, snowy ladnscape and the lakes reflect the clear sky and rolling clouds just like a mirror would. These sights are definitely some of my favourites in the world and I find them to be very soothing. Just what I needed in these erratic times.






Hope you enjoyed the view as well! Do you have any recommendation of more beautiful nature to admire in Switzerland?
Have a lovely Wednesday!

12 comments:

  1. How breathtaking - I am so Switzerland-sick!! I can't get over how little snow there is this time of year though, it has been a really weird winter!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it has been such a weird winter! And now February is almost over too. Can't believe I haven't seen almost any snow this year ...

      Delete
  2. Qué maravilla de paisaje!Me encantaría poder conocer Suiza algún día ( pero mejor en verano ya que el frío no lo aguanto muy bien, con alguna ruta senderista sería ideal) Bss, Irene:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Esos planes suenan genial, senderismo en verano por Suiza. Espero que algún día puedas venir por aquí :)

      Delete
  3. This place looks beautiful! The perfect destination for a relaxing getaway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hehe and I think it must be really romantic to stay there overnight - I would love to do that some time :)

      Delete
  4. Can you believe I have NEVER been to Interlaken? I didn't even lived so far away :( It's quite famous for skiing though, right? so maybe I'll try to get there for the next ski season (I think it'll be too late for this one at the time I'm able to ask for holidays...).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think the whole region is quite famous for skiing and many adventure sports. I though Interlaken was the kind of place everyone visited when traveling to Switzerland for the first time of moving here hehe it seems I was wrong :p

      Delete
  5. Oh wow, such fantastic pictures! I really need a getaway! Thanks so much for sharing, hope you are having a good week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Katrin! Hope you're having a good week as well :)

      Delete
  6. Irene, Interlaken is so picturesque! If I was there, I would probably SING "The hills are alive with the sound of musiccccc". HaHaHa So tranquil. So peaceful. So majestic. It's like you want to inhale the fresh air and exclaim something. HAHAHA Glad you got away! We all need that from time to time. I do hope things get better. I never thought you would feel that way towards Switzerland. I always hear wonderful things. I do hope things change. ((hug))
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neither did I! It is actually quite a weird moment in my life and I somehow feel bad for not being able to cope. I should really try and be more gentle to myself. And sing out loud as well hehe

      Delete

Thanks for your comments!
I appreaciate your love and reactions.
I'll take a look at your blogs and I'll try to reply as soon as possible
Feel free to follow if you like :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...