Monday, February 3, 2014

Photowalk: Lange Erlen Tierpark

A couple of weeks ago I decided that the best way to spend an otherwise lazy Sunday is to go out for a long walk, so long it does not rain. I get to breathe some fresh air and to strecht my legs for a while and it feels great! I simply love being outdoors during the winter, *sigh* if only there was snow! But even without any snow in town I still enjoy the cold breeze on my face and the warmth of my coat. And after an hour or two of winter sun I feel full of energy and ready for a new week to begin.

Last Sunday I went to one of my favourite places in Basel, the Lange Erlen Animal Park. The Lange Erlen park is right at the German border, alongside a thin water stream. The park itself has many ponds and creeks which are home to different species of ducks and geese. But they're not the only inhabitants of the park. Elks, ponies, goats, bobcats or boars can also be seen around, grazing or sleeping carelessly. In the recent years the Lange Erlen park has been expanded and some other animals have been added to the park, including bees, owls, mice or salamanders. Lange Erlen is not very big and it can be seen in approximately an hour but I find it a really relaxing walk. I love it when a city has good parks to enjoy and I particularly like not having to drive for hours to get that close to the nature.












Lange Erlen Tierpark is open daily from 8am till 5 or 6pm, depending on the time of the year. The only downside of visiting in winter is that some animals are nowhere to be seen as they are busy hibernating - but just imagine how beautiful it would look with some snow around! I know because I saw it covered by snow a couple of years ago.
Entry is free but there are several boxes where you can leave a small donation if you wish.

Have a lovely week!

7 comments:

  1. It's a beautiful park Irene! I'm admiring all the animal life that was placed in it. It's so tranquil and peaceful. We have some ducks and ponds, but that's it. HAHAHA Thanks for sharing.
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In Tenerife we also had some ducks and a pond and some chickens in cages in the park and nothing else. There were some bibber animal parks but for those you have to pay an entry fee.
      I'm just amazed that you can see all these animals for free :)

      Delete
  2. Vaya! pues fíjate que ahora por España estamos pasando una época de bastante frío y en mi zona nos hemos levantado con nieve hoy. Con nieve o sin nieve este parque es precioso, tiene unos colores muy bonitos . Seguro que fue un paseo muy agradable entre los animales. Bss, Irene:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya, en España este año parece que tb está haciendo bastante frío. Hasta en Tenerife, que desde noviembre ha nevado ya tres o cuatro veces allí. Y sin embargo aquí en Basilea estamos hoy a 10º, que para Suiza es como un día primaveral jajaja

      Delete
  3. Lovely park..I am trying to visualize how it looks like with snow and it must be beautiful! I remember asking my husband once upon seeing animals outdoors during winter, "don't they feel cold? It must be freezing out there." He laughed and answered, " don't worry, they're used to it. They're tougher than you think." :) Wishing you a lovely week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hehe you're not alone wondering if animals don't freeze in winter. Everytima some friends or family come to visit me (here or before in the Netherlands) and we take a walk around the prak they also ask how come ducks are in the water during winter when it must be freezing cold. I guess they're used to it :)

      Delete
  4. I like that the animals have space to roam around! Thanks for sharing! I love spending time outdoors and get some fresh air!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!
I appreaciate your love and reactions.
I'll take a look at your blogs and I'll try to reply as soon as possible
Feel free to follow if you like :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...