Thursday, February 27, 2014

Snapshots of Dublin

"I would love a good fish and chips for dinner" I said casually one night.
"We can go tomorrow to Germany and have one at the Nordsee, if you want" Boyfriend suggested.
"I don't. I don't want that soft German version," I replied sharply, "I'm craving the real stuff, a long battered cod filet with thick greasy fries, all soaking in vinegar".

Looking back on this meaningless conversation we had one evening in January, it now seems almost premonitory to me. Only a couple of weeks later I would find myself sketching an impromptu trip to Dublin and quite excited at the prospect of gulping down an authentic fish and chips very soon. But the excitement was due to a bit more than a piece of fish and some fries on the side. I was going to a city totally unknown to me, to a country I had never been to before and all on my own. It was already three years and a half since the last time I visited a new country and when I first learnt about the possibility of this sudden trip to Dublin I went directly to a bookshop and bought a shiny and brand-new Dublin city guide (not that I need an upcoming trip to do so, as I collect travel guides since I was a child).

After spending four nice days in Dublin I arrived yesterday back home, totally exhausted. I hadn't slept well for three nights in a row but on my last night in Dublin I somehow managed to fall and stay asleep for more than two hours. My body and mind were finally getting the rest they so needed until the fire alarm of the hotel rang at 1:30am. ONE THIRTY IN THE NIGHT!!! I woke up feeling totally disoriented and after some mental rambling I put on my trainers and went downstairs to the reception. I took a cardi with me in case something was really going on and we needed to leave the hotel but nothing happened. The recepcionists looked apologetic and said that whatever was going on had already be fixed. So nothing to worry about, I could go back to bed and sleep again, only that I couldn't. My heart was beating fast, almost tachycardically and my brain prevented me to sleep, as it persuaded me that if I fell asleep quickly I could not know if I was really falling asleep or quietly passing away intoxicated by carbon monoxide. Despite nothing happening, that was the train of thought that entertained my mind and everytime I was on the verge of falling asleep I forced myself to move until I eventually closed my eyes and gave in.

Besides the sleepless nights - and, oh, the time I tripped over and the cobblestones and more than a handful of passerbys saw me fall down on my knees - Dublin was grand. I had a great time there, enjoyed lots of sightseeing, ate myself happy and came home with a huge crush. I even said something I never thought I would say about any city in the world, but I said it. Dublin might be even prettier than London - there, I said it!. I will be writing more about Dublin in the upcoming weeks but for now I'll let the photos do some talking.










Have you ever been to Dublin? Did you like it as much as I did?
Have a lovely Thursday!

Bloglovin' | Twitter | Instagram | Pinterest

10 comments:

  1. their buildings and sculptures are magnificent irene. very pretty. i'm glad you went. what an ordeal though. to smell a certain odor, i'm glad you checked it out. CO kills silently. so scary. sorry you fell. i'm not good on cobblestone's either. can't wait to hear about more of your adventures in Dublin. lol about the fish! hahaha not just ANY fish! that sounds like something i would say.
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hehe it is fun to read that you also appreciate a good fish dish, we're sometimes so alike :)
      It was a very good trip but yes, I can be that clumsy and fall all the time. I think I just need some time to get used to the different floors before I can walk safely hehe

      Delete
  2. lad you enjoyed Dublin & you were safe as well. I've been there once, but really didn't get a good chance to look around Dublin...but the buildings were gorgeous. I hope you have a great weekend doll xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was a great weekend and I was also fascinated by the gorgeous architecture. Dublin is definitely a city I would recommend for a weekend getaway :)

      Delete
  3. Ay, qué suerte tienes , Irene! dicho y hecho. Nunca he estado en Dublín pero es una ciudad que me encantaría visitar. Ese parque me ha recordado a la película " Leap year". Qué fotos tan chulas.Bss:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. La verdad que fue una suerte, aunque todo fue planeado a última hora y no estaba muy segura de si merecía la pena ir o no. Y tb me acordé de esa película durante mi viaje y me gustaría volver y ver más de Irlanda jeje

      Delete
  4. Can't wait to read more of your adventures there. I'm trying to imagine how the fish and chips tasted and things like the alarm going off at such an ungodly hour makes it even more unforgettable. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think this will be an unforgettable trip, not only for the reason, but also because of the anecdotes and the nice evenings with a friend I hadn't seen in a very long time!

      Delete
  5. What a wonderful experience - minus the 1:30am alarm and falling on your knees though - I loved looking through the photgraphs, and totally want a proper chippy now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I collect travel books as well! I am glad you had a fantastic trip -except of the lack of sleep and that you fell down! Thanks for sharing the fantastic pictures. I want to travel to Dublin so badly!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!
I appreaciate your love and reactions.
I'll take a look at your blogs and I'll try to reply as soon as possible
Feel free to follow if you like :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...