Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Some photos from Lago Maggiore


I once worked in a travel company where I met a lovely girl who would eventually become a dear friend to me. As we would spend our days eyeing endless list of fine seaside resorts and cosy houses on the mountains and working through lists of exotic touristy destinations, it was almost inevitable that many of our conversations were related to travel and fuelled by our wanderlust. This friend had -and still has - a huge crush on Italy, she was totally infatuated by everything Italian. The language, the food, the places, cities and landscapes, and her Italian boyfriend. I, on the contrary, have never been interested in Italy at all. I don't know why but I have never felt attracted to its countless charms, I think Italian is the dullest language to learn ever and I find it annoying when people talk to me in Italian just because they think that being Spanish I will understand them. My relationship with Italy was restricted to my love for pizza and I didn't think there was a way for it to change. Until I went to Italy during a summer holiday, that's it. I had no idea of what I've been missing and despite the above 40ºC temperatures I liked every city I visited, loved every food I tasted and enjoyed every moment in Italy. I even felt tempted to learn some Italian but got bored and gave it up after a week - I much prefer to learn Germanic languages.

This friend of mine had spent many a summer holiday in the northern part of Italy, a region known as Italy Lakes Region and famous for being the region where George Clooney has his holiday mansion by the Lago Como. This friend of mine would go on and on about how beautiful this region was, how lovely it is to spend a summer week there and after a while her ideas infested my mind and I added the Italian lakes to my list of places to visit. And luckily this time, I didn't have to wait too long and last autumn I went for the first time to the north of Italy. Actually, it was a trip to Ticino, the Italian-speaking part of Switzerland but Italy is just over the border. We stayed in Locarno, which is on the north shore of Lago Maggiore, and we also made a roadtrip to some neighbouring towns in the north of Italy. I still have to share all of this because this was just before I took my blogging break last November, but it's coming!

These are some of the photos I took at Lago Maggiore last November. It was a really misty morning and the weather couldn't be any more autumnal. Everything looked really magical, as if taken from a fairytale and I remember thinking that this was one of the most beautiful sights I had ever seen. I'm now sure that a summer holiday in the Italian lakes must be something truly wonderful, a holiday to remember forever. But I also believe that Lago Maggiore is equally alluring on any autumn day. And I'm sure it'll be all the same on any winter or spring day.






Have a lovely Wednseday!

10 comments:

  1. These are so beautiful! It looks like such a mysterious place! And what I'd give for my own island.... how nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sarah! Yeah, an own island sounds nice to have :)

      Delete
  2. Beautiful photos! It must be a dream to live in that house!
    http://liveitinerantly.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes, it must be great to have such a beautiful island just for oneself :)

      Delete
  3. Unas fotos preciosas! este lugar debe de ser mágico. Bss, Irene:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias, Pilar! La verdad que era precioso- mucho más que en las fotos!

      Delete
  4. It's really pretty. All to itself! Your friend sounded awesome. It's always cool to connect with someone with the same interests :D
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was a really lovely girl, I miss her!

      Delete
  5. To be able to share wanderlust with a dear friend at work must make each work day fun, not to mention working in a travel company. Wow, the view is heavenly. I remember we were supposed to visit Lago Como and the north of Italy after a work trip but our boss canceled it. I had no idea what I missed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, the company wasn't as good as it sounds but it was a fun time, nevertheless.
      What a shame your trip was cancelled. I didn't know what I was missing either and I was truly amazed when I finally got a chance to go there :)

      Delete

Thanks for your comments!
I appreaciate your love and reactions.
I'll take a look at your blogs and I'll try to reply as soon as possible
Feel free to follow if you like :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...