Friday, February 14, 2014

Swiss Things I Love

Last December I was reading my year horoscope for 2014 and among all the pointless advice that usually comes with astrological predictions, I was told that this year would not follow any of my plans and that I should be extremely flexible when handling unexpected situations. A month and a half into 2014 and I can totally nod in agreement with that prediction. The last couple of weeks have been a bit crazy with one weird and unpredictable event happening just after another. As my circumstances changed every now and then I've forced myself to take a step back and think thoroughly about the things that really matter in life, in my life. Some days I see things clearly and some I don't, some days I think I know what I want and some I don't, but I'm almost certain that I will need to be really flexible this year. All that much thinking has left me exhausted - mentally, not physically. Some weeks ago I started to do ballet workout and by now I feel totally graceful even when I'm lifting my leg in the most graceless way. To ease my mind I also enrolled in a economics MOOC and I now spend more time figuring out mathematical problems than worrying about not being able to settle down and enjoy this new life in Switzerland, which is a relief. And that's pretty much everything I've been doing in the last week when I've been so absent from blogland.


*     *     *     *     *

Today is 14th February and that means hearts and flowers galore. Yep, it's Valentine's Day and I thought it might be a good idea to bury the hatchet and share some Switzerland love. Right now I have very mixed feelings about this small country and sometimes I even think I'm growing bitter towards her. I'm trying hard to like her, but Switzerland doesn't make things easy for foreign spouses, partners and the like - nor for foreigners on their own. Still there are always lovely things to enjoy and here are some of my favourites.

The Alps - If I could only choose one favourite thing in Switzerland I think it would be the Alps. Those mountains are gorgeous and seeing them covered in snow is guaranteed to take my sorrows away. I love them in winter, spring, summer and autumn. I love them on sunny days when the snow reflects the sunlight so brightly that it is almost blinding.


Nature - Besides the Alps, Switzerland has way too many gorgeous landscapes. Forests, lakes and even waterfalls are all really pretty. Just like Amy Farrah Fowler told Bernadette that she looked beautiful, not Penny-beautiful but beautiful when trying her wedding dress, I usually say now about other countries that they're beautiful, not Switzerland-beautiful but beautiful. Yes, I've been spoilt!


Cheese and bread - I was never a fan of cheese nor of bread. In fact I only ate yellow cheese which didn't stink smell like cheese and hardly ever ate bread until I moved to the Netherlands (Dutch people eat mostly bread for lunch, so I kinda had to). But even I, a picky eater, fell prey to Switzerland's delicious food. I love a good raclette and bread is was too good here to try and cut it off completely from my diet. My favourites are Silserbrot, Butterzopf and Tessinerbrot.

Summer - I was really surprised when I came to Switzerland for the first time during the summer and temperatures were around 40ºC. I don't really enjoy hot weather but here it is somehow more bearable than in Spain, it is usually cooler at night and I didn't get as dizzy as I do in Spain when temperatures are above 30ºC. I think it is simply great to go out to read by the river or to enjoy a cold homemade ice-tea or to lay on the grass in the nearest park and have some BBQ with friends.


Orderly life - Not that I'm an avid rule-follower (actually I'm more of a rule-breaker) but I do appreciate the orderly way Swiss people lead their lives. Switzerland has many a rule to ensure that everyone lives and let live. I specially like how buses and trams are scheduled by the minute, so I always know at what time exactly I should be at the stop.

Have you ever been to Switzerland? What do you like most about Switzerland?

Have a lovely weekend!

11 comments:

  1. I have never been to Switzerland, but I can see the attraction from reading your post! The nature and weather just sound so wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really think that nature here is amazing, a real must-see! If only it wasn't that expensive ...

      Delete
  2. I've been there twice for skiing (Saint-Luc and Maloja) and it's one of the most beautiful places I've seen so far... I don't know how it feels to live there, but the nature is astonishing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never skied in my whole life, maybe I should try it some day :)
      Switzerland is also one of the most beautiful places I've seen so far ...

      Delete
  3. Qué bien suena lo del ballet! me encantaría que hubiera ese tipo de actividades para adultos en la ciudad donde vivo. Me siento muy identificada con todo esto que cuentas de los cambios y el replantearte las cosas, el ser fiel a las cosas realmente importantes y olvidarnos de los demás. Bss y hasta muy pronto, espero:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. La verdad que es una suerte vivir en un sitio donde tienes bastantes actividades para probar, cuando estaba en Maastricht eso era algo que echaba de menos, porque al fin y al cabo era sólo un pueblo y no había demasiado que hacer.
      Me alegro de saber que no soy la única que se vuelve loca con tanto cambio ... en fin, a ver como sigue el año ...

      Delete
  4. I fell love at first bite with raclette too. The way it melted my heart.. I sound so cheesy. :) it is insane how life works sometimes. I remember feeling lost when I quit my day job two years ago and spent a year not knowing what's next and many things happened beyond my control. Only time revealed why they did. Hang in there. I admire you for focusing on what you love.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Irene! This has (so far) been a mixed up year for me too. I think we have the same horoscope. LOL I haven't been myself (so weird). It's taken longer to do things. I feel a difference from last year. Switzerland, does sound like it's making things really difficult for you. So sorry to hear. It has some nice points, but not at all what I expected. I have a reader named Dale, from California who just married a guy from Switzerland and recently moved there. Here is her blog: http://www.savvyspice.com/ Check it out! She's really nice. You may want to read her blog passages. She got married last year and just recently moved. So Switzerland is new to her also! Let me know if you two connect. You may already follow her blog. Don't know. LOL

    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do have the same chinese horoscope indeed LOL
      I hope your year improves ... and I'm curious about how mine will evolve.
      Thanks for your tips. I already know and follow Dale, I visit her blog from time to time and I read everything about her whirlwind engagement and wedding. So crazy and beautiful! We've written each other sometime and shared our Swiss love stories :)

      Delete
  6. I totally want to travel to Switzerland! Bread is my thing! And I am a huge The Big Bang Theory fan! :) Sorry life is so exhausting right now! Hope things will calm down and everything will work out the way you want to! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am also a huge Big Bang Theory fan :)
      Hopefully we'll meet sometime around Switzerland or Germany - I would love to travel more around Germany because I have only seen a couple of German cities during daytrips.

      Delete

Thanks for your comments!
I appreaciate your love and reactions.
I'll take a look at your blogs and I'll try to reply as soon as possible
Feel free to follow if you like :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...