Friday, March 14, 2014

{FoodFriday} Cranberry Quark Cake

Good morning, everyone! Today I'm coming up with something new, today is the day the I am sharing a recipe with you for the first time. Yep, you read right, a recipe. I have been wanting to do this for a while now but I wasn't sure that a travel/expat blog was the right place to post a recipe every now and then. At first I thought of starting a second blog solely dedicated to food just to post my collection of recipes and have them all together in one place but maintaining one blog is already too much work (if you're also a blogger, you'll know what I mean) so just imagine what having two blogs would be like - I really, truly admire people who can juggle two blogs, I'm afraid I'll never be that type of person. With the idea of a second blog off the table, I still wondered whether it would be fine to talk food around here. Would my readers think I was writing off topic? Would my culinary attempts be worth of some internet attention? Whatever, in the end I gave in because many of the blogs I enjoy also mix topics as they please and I enjoy that. And even more importantly, because Away from Tenerife is the dear brainchild of mine, so I don't think there's no one better than I to choose which direction it should follow. Well, welcome to the first FoodFriday ever - I might not be posting recipes every Friday but if I do, it'll be on Friday.

To celebrate this small blog happening I'm bringing you some cake, but that's not the only celebration around here. I haven't told you but Boyfriend and I found a lovely apartment and we're moving! Yay! In the past two weeks we have spent a considerable amount of time in Ikea and we have become experts at building Ikea furniture (not quite the easy task it seems). The apartment was totally empty and that means a LOT to do. Things progress slowly but so far I'm very pleased with the results and look forward to move in. So, yes, a little celebration was in order and a homemade cake was the perfect match for a new home.

I'm not completely sure of what quark is, other than a dairy product. Is it a very creamy cheese? A thick yogurt? I don't know but I know I like it. I like how it makes a cake extra moist and tender and gives it a very mild sour taste. You can find the original recipe for this quark cake here (sorry, it is in German). I have made some slight changes because the original recipe makes a huge cake, which is great for a big party but too much for two or three, and I substituted the cherries for cranberries - I prefer cranberries when baking.


INGREDIENTS

50 g dried cranberries
2 tbsp Kirsch
65 g butter (softened)
90 g sugar
2 tsp vanilla sugar
2 egg yolks
175 g quark
2 tbsp milk
150 g flour
1 small sachet baking powder (or 1 tbsp)
2 egg whites and a pinch of salt
icing sugar (to decorate - optional)

DIRECTIONS

1.- Put the dried cranberries in a small bowl. Pour the Kirsch and let them soak for approximately 10 minutes.

2.- Preheat the oven at 180ºC. Cover the cake form with baking paper.

3.- In a bigger bowl, beat the softened butter with the sugar and vanilla sugar. Add the egg yolks and beat together with a spoon until the mix is light and creamy. Add the quark and milk to the mix and the cranberries with the Kirsch. Mix to combine everything.

4.- Sift the flour and the baking powder into the mix and beat together.

5.- On a separate bowl, put the egg whites with a pinch of salt and beat until the egg whites are stiff. Then add the egg whites to the previous mix and beat together with a spatula. 

6.- Put the mix into the cake form and bake for approximately 45 minutes. 

7.- Leave it to cool for a while and sprinkle over the icing sugar, if used.


Enjoy and have a lovely weekend!

Bloglovin' | Twitter | Instagram | Pinterest

9 comments:

  1. Me la he guardado ya con un LIKE en bloglovin así ya no se me pierde.Tiene muy buena pinta y me gusta mucho la repostería; debería hacer más posts como este tuyo. Bss:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. jeje pues a ver si te animas :) A mí tb me encanta la repostería, de hecho todo lo dulce me pierde!

      Delete
  2. Irene, I think it's refreshing that you will be adding food recipes to your blog. That cake looks delicious! I love the ingredients. When I first started blogging, I only talked about fashion. I got so bored with it! HaHaHa I ended up deleting that blog and starting A Very Sweet Blog. That way I can talk about anything that is SWEET in my eyes :). It can be fashion, beauty, food, traveling etc. So good for you! I love hearing about your travels and the places you visit, but it's also good to hear about your personal interests too. Good luck with the move! Sounds awesome! I'm glad you have a clean slate. You can decorate it to your tastes. It's more costly, but so worth it. Have a great weekend doll.
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean about getting bored with dull blogs. I had also started some other blogs before and some of them was exclusively dedicated to fashion. After a short time it became more of a chore than a pastime, I got bored and gave it up.
      I think you do a great mix of SWEET topics and I enjoy reading you :)
      Have a great week!

      Delete
  3. I'm bookmarking this for the time I can finally have cake. Hmm, I wonder if I can find kirsch, if I was able to find raclette cheese, I'm sure there's one out here :). It looks and sounds delicious! Looking forward to more recipe posts in the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you can happily try it very soon :) I had never thought about the incovenience of finding alcohol in the UAE (probably because I don't consume that much). I happened to have a bottle of Kirsch around here but otherwise, I wouldn't have bothered to buy one and I would have added the dried cranberries on its own.

      Delete
  4. That looks delicious! Congratulations on your upcoming move and best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know that I like your idea of posting recipes. :) Can't wait for more! I am not sure what exactly quark is and I have never seen a vegan alternative. Plus I think you can only find it in German speaking countries. I don't know but I have never seen it in America. I will definitely try to veganize the recipe, maybe I will use soy yogurt and mix it with vegan cream cheese. Not sure. Oh by the way, I have read about a vegan paleo baking book today!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay, I am obviously onboard with this recipe. :) I had never heard the word 'Quark' before, but this sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!
I appreaciate your love and reactions.
I'll take a look at your blogs and I'll try to reply as soon as possible
Feel free to follow if you like :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...