Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Sights I saw in Dublin

I have already shown you some pics of Dublin and I also shared my first impressions of the city with you but I haven't told you about the places and sights I visited during my short trip to Dublin last February. I was only for three days in Dublin and I could only dedicate one of them to sightseeing - the other two days I was busy and tired but also enjoyed the evenings having dinner with a friend form college. Anyway, I tried to make the most of my time in Dublin and I think I managed to squeeze as many touristic landmarks as I could in that tight schedule. Sadly, that means that I only admired those sites from the outside, but hopefully I'll go back to Dublin some day and have plenty of time to explore the city as much as I want. But until then, here are some tourisy spots I saw and loved.

Trinity College: This is probably Dublin's most famous institution. The Trinity College has been around since the 16th century and it is the most prestigous university in Ireland. The campus has several squares and green spots surrounded by buildings both old and new. I took a quick look the same day I left Dublin. It was early in the morning and some students were already showing around for their lectures and long study days. I found the classical buildings and the campanile impressing and I'd like to take a walking tour someday, especially to glimpse at the book of Kells.

Trinity College, Dublin

Trinity College, Dublin

Trinity College, Dublin

Dublin Castle: This one doesn't really look like a castle at all and most of it was built and rebuilt on the foundations of the original castle. Even from the narrow streets around, it would be pretty difficult to guess that there is a castle right in the centre of Dublin but there it is. I passed through the entry gates and took a closer look from the upper yard but I didn't find anything castle-like there either. There is a statue of Lady Justice on top of the entrance from Cork Hill and she may one of the few Justice figures to not have her eyes folded. Besides, she is facing the inner yard of the castle, thus turning her back on the Irish small folk. Probably very representative of the justice the English delivered the Irish for centuries.

Dublin Castle

Dublin Castle

Dublin Castle

St Patrick' Cathedral: Though Ireland is eminently catholic today that was not always the case. Centuries of revolts and English domination led to a divided city with an Anglican nobility and Catholic lower classes. As a result, Dublin has several cathedrals and St Patrick's Cathedral is the seat of the Anglican diocese (I've always found the terms Protestant and Anglican confusing and I'm not really sure about the difference). Some time ago Jonathan Swift was dean of St Patrick's Cathedral and he was buried inside.

St Patrick Cathedral, Dublin

St Patrick Cathedral, Dublin

Christ Church Cathedral: Christ Church is Dublin's oldest cathedral and serves as the cathedral church of the Church of Ireland, a branch of the Anglican church (again, more religious confusion to me). The Christ Chruch Cathedral is one of the most iconic and photographed buildings in Dublin and I was totally in awe of its beautiful flying buttresses. 

Christ Church Cathedral, Dublin

Christ Church Cathedral, Dublin

Christ Church Cathedral, Dublin

St Stephen Green: A lovely park in the middle of the city. St Stephen Green is not especially big but it is a tranquil spot to take a break from the crazy traffic and crowded shopping streets around it. There are a few paths which make a realxing walk, a pond with a bandstand overlooking it and several statues of Dublin's literary glories, among other interesting points. It is the perfect place to spend a sunny lunch break.

St Stephen Green, Dublin

St Stephen Green, Dublin

St Stephen Green, Dublin

The Temple Bar: I didn't kow about Temple Bar until I read about it on my guide book but it is one of the most iconic Irish pubs in the world, if not the most. People come around by day to take a photo of its façade and by night to enjoy a good pint. I only dropped by during the day because I didn't feel like having a drink on my own, even if enjoying some Irish beer is a must on most visitors list.

The Temple Bar, Dublin

I also visited the archaeology section of the National Museum of Ireland and that was one of the highlights of my trip. I really enjoy archaeology, ethnographic and natural museums, sometimes even more than art museums. The National Museum of Ireland has several rooms detailing the Viking past of the city (and country) and I've always been quite interested in Viking history and stories. Besides, there were some mummies perfectly preserved, you could even see their hairdos still! Oh, and there was no entrance fee to the museum.

One of the big misses was the Guinness Storehouse and Brewery but just as with Temple Bar, I didn't feel like drinking (or drink-taste-testing in this case) alone. And I've never been that big on beer anyway. While I would love to go wine sipping in Italy, California or Australia, I cannot be really bother with beer. I never visited the Heineken Experience in Amsterdam, never made it to a beer museum in Belgium and I might never go to the Guinness Brewery, though this is a bit more likely to happen as my heart always warms up to all things Irish.

Well, that was all about Dublin for a while! Hope you enjoyed this small tour.
Have you ever been to Dublin? Any recommendation? Something else I missed?

Have a lovely Wednesday!

12 comments:

  1. Sólo tres días pero que seguro aprovechaste al máximo!! Unas fotos preciosas y te hizo muy buen tiempo. Por cierto, las del parque me recuerdan a una escena de la película " Leap year" ( año bisiesto en español). Bss, Irene:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You managed to see a lot of Dublin in only a small amount of time. I visited the Store House when I was there and loved it.. but I am a big Guinness fan :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dublin really is one of the best cities ever. :) And your pictures are always so fantastic! I love these buildings. Feel like I need to read my travel books about Ireland again! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Irene, Dublin has some gorgeous historical sites! I really enjoyed this tour. Trinity University is absolutely stoic! I hear about it all the time, but it's nothing like seeing it in pictures (or in person for that matter haha). Love their cathedrals! I'm Catholic, so I've always had a love for historic churches. It amazes me how people were buried there. Their history is so rich. St. Stephen Green is absolutely beautiful. I love that bridge. It's more beautiful than the one that we have here in New Orleans, but I was thinking about the picture I took. It reminded me of it. So beautiful! I would love to hang out at that bar. It's so cute. Great post doll!
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. The architecture looks really impressive, so magnificent and ancient. oh, I'd love to see it all with my own eyes, those views are impressive! Those photographs are adorable, thank you for sharing:)
    Wish you a great day ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  6. For some reason, I can hear some Irish hymns in my head while reading your post. :)) The image of Temple Bar makes me want to go for a fresh pint along with some Irish specials. Have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These pictures are absolutely stunning. What impressive architecture and there is so much character.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gosh I would love to travel to Ireland one day. I do not know the difference too much either when they say Protestant or Anglican. Oh Temple Bar I heard a lot about this place!

    Allie of ALLIE NYC
    allienyc.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. lovely blog :)
    http://saltskinned.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous photos once again. I've hear such great things about the Temple Bar!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!
I appreaciate your love and reactions.
I'll take a look at your blogs and I'll try to reply as soon as possible
Feel free to follow if you like :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...