Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Some photos of Frankfurt

They call her 'Bankfurt' and 'Mainhattan'. They say Frankfurt is nothing like the rest of Europe with her shiny skyscrapers and people in suites rushing from one tall building to another. And yet Frankfurt is more a big town than a small city. Frankfurt-am-Main is the biggest financial centre in continental Europe but if it wasn't for the small financial district she would be like many other German cities. The population doesn't even reach one million (though the urban aglomeration surpasses it), the city centre is compact with wide avenues and the city is dotted with many green spaces making Frankfurt an enjoyable place to live or just to visit.

Frankfurt-am-Main

Last week I was in Frankfurt for a day but as much I would've liked to explore the city I didn't really have the time. I was almost six hours on the train back and forth and had something else to do during the day other than sightseeing. I don't think I saw more than a dozen of streets so I guess I don't really have much an opinion about Frankfurt. It looked beautiful and relaxed, despite the hectic economic activity that keeps the city going. However, I found Frankfurt rather awkward and during my brief visit to Frankfurt I learnt how a bad first impression can really shadow any charm a place may have.

Frankfurt-am-Main

Frankfurt-am-Main oper

I have quite a visual memory and when I need to find a certain direction I usually take a paused look at Google maps and store the information in my head (at leastI have a map at hand, of course). I learn (and copy) the sequence of streets to follow and the street grid is clearly recorded in my mind. I went to Frakfurt with a purpose and an address to find so the night before I did my research and wrote down the name of the streets I should take. Out of Frankfurt train station I started walking my way towards the financial district, only that I took a wrong turning and was misleaded by the name of the street because I wrongly assumed that Taunusstrasse should end up in Taunusanlage. And it did, only that it was a very unpleasant walk which made me really dislike Frankfurt.

It was midday and I was walking along Taunusstrasse under the sun and started to noticed that there were less and less people around. After a couple of minutes I looked up and saw some men around who looked heavily stoned. And I looked a bit further and saw many a red sign advertising everything and anything rated with a trpiple X. Somehow I had walked myself into Frankfurt red light district and I can tell you that it was a very grimmy sight. I have already strolled around Amsterdam's famous red light district; I have even partied at Antwerp's red light district as Café d'Anvers (one of Antwerp main clubs) is right in the middle of it, but none of those prepared me for Frankfurt's grittiest streets. I'm not sure I should even call it red light district because there were no women showing themselves in red-framed windows but even then, I found it a totally repulsive place - something I hadn't experienced neither in Amsterdam or Antwerp. I was scared and wanted to run away. I was thankful it was midday and there was broad day light because otherwise I would've turned around and run. Run and cried, run and cried. Anyway, I just took the next turning left, walk through a very similar street and finally got to the street I should've taken in the first place.

As I said, with such strong negative first impressions it is hard not to have an unbiased opinion about the city. It is a place I wouldn't like to return to but I might go back in the near future. Or maybe not. My photos say that Frankfurt was nice but my head tells me otherwise. All I can tell you is that if you ever visit Frankfurt-am-Main, stay well away of Taunusstrasse and surroundings.

Frankfurt_am_Main

Frankfurt-am-Main

Frankfurt-am-Main


Have a lovely Wednesday!

7 comments:

  1. Ay madre! menos mal que esto ocurrió de día porque vaya susto. Nunca me ha pasado nada parecido pero soy de las que cuando va a un sitio se pone a andar sin mirar nada y puedo acabar en cualquier lado ( eso sí, en cuanto veo que el paisaje cambia me doy la vuelta) . No conozco Frankfurt pero tiene pinta de ser muy interesante. Qué envidia me da ver que ahí hace tan buen tiempo; tenemos un tiempo horrible en España. Bss:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yo tb me dejo llevar cuando voy caminando sin rumbo y a veces me pierdo totalmente. Por suerte se me da bien leer mapas jeje

      Ya, la verdad que esto parece el mundo al revés. Aquí estamos teniendo una primavera estupenda. Estos días no hace tanto sol pero aún así estamos a 25*C increíble! :)

      Delete
  2. Oh how I would love to explore Europe one day. Germany is on my husband's wish list. My dream destination is Switzerland. Frankfurt looks like a really neat place to visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoy traveling around Europe because it is so easy! And I would love to explore more of it, I still have many places left in my list :)

      Delete
  3. Sorry you experienced that Irene. I would've run in the daylight. HaHaHa I'm such a woos. Every place has a "bad" area. Don't let this deter you from going back. I love the architecture of the older buildings.
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I guess every place has a 'bad' area and I shouldn't let this put me off a place.
      I also like the old architecture and it's combination with new buildings :)

      Delete
  4. Oh wow, I am glad you got out of that creepy red light district! I haven't been to Frankfurt very much so I don't really have a strong opinion about it but I am sure there are some nice places there. I have been to a couple of concerts in Frankfurt and the venues were pretty cool but other than that I have only seen the airport and the main shopping street. Your pictures definitely look great!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!
I appreaciate your love and reactions.
I'll take a look at your blogs and I'll try to reply as soon as possible
Feel free to follow if you like :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...