Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Enjoying the sea breeze at Garachico

May has been quite a crazy month! It started with a week of holidays on my home island, then I had to prepared for an oral examination and right now I'm almost packing because I am moving to a new country in less than a week. If you read this blog regularly you might be thinking, what?! Moving again? But hadn't you just moved to a new apartment? Weren't you supposed to stay in Switzerland for good? Well, yes and yes but life can be this capricious and for good can be way shorter than expected, at least in this case. 

Anyway, only a couple of weeks ago I was far away from all my worries enjoying some fine weather and stunning views right in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean. I was in Tenerife for only one week, which felt like too little time, but one of the days I did a small road trips with my parents and after spending the morning in La Orotava, we then drove further to Garachico, a small village close to the northwest end of the island. Garachico was once a mighty port but nowadays it is no more than a small fishers village and few tourists venture this far. Those who do will be rewarded with a genuine historical village away from the crowds and the brave ones might even enjoy a bath in the sea, though there is no real beach in the town, only a few rocky pools by the shore.

Garachico Tenerife

Garachico and her port were almost totally destroyed after a violent volcanic eruption that took place at the beginning of the 18th century. However, some buildings dating as far as the 16th century survived the tragedy and have been carefully restored. Nearby the main square there are some old churchs worth a visit but the most scenic views are those of the ocean bathing the coast of Garachico. A quiet promenade walks the coast and there are several cafés to stop for a while. At one of the ends there is a small fortress built on the 16th century, Castillo de San Miguel. It looms over the sea and the surrounding paths walk almost into the water. Garachico is a tranquil place to enjoy a pretty sunset and on clear days, it is even possible to catch a glimpse of La Palma, another isle of the Canaries.

Castillo San Miguel, Garachico, Tenerife

Castillo San Miguel, Garachico, Tenerife

Castillo San Miguel, Garachico, Tenerife

I never thought I would say this but I actually miss the sea. It had been almost a year since the last time I had been to Tenerife and I hadn't seen the sea ever since. There are plenty of lakes here in Switzerland but as beautiful as they are, pristine lakes are totally different from the ocean. Deep blue and rough, always moving and waving. I am moving in less than a week and I am moving to another island. Hopefully I'll get to see the big ocean more often. Curious about my next move? I'll tell you more about it soon!

Garachico Tenerife

Garachico Tenerife

Garachico Tenerife

Garachico Tenerife

Garachico Tenerife

Have a lovely week!

5 comments:

  1. Your schedule is so hectic. What on earth is going on? I know I've said this before but I would love to lead a lifestyle like yours. Everything seems so adventure-y and spontaneous and backpacker-ish. So where are you moving? You've left us on such a cliffhanger. Rosemary x

    rosemaryofelephants.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Otra vez haciendo la maleta, Irene...si fuera yo lo pasaría fatal pero yo creo que tú estás más que acostumbrada . Estas fotos en tu Tenerife están genial , no tenía ni idea de que la playa de Garachico hubiera sido destruida por una erupción volcánica. Espero que cuando estés asentada en tu nuevo domicilio nos enseñes fotos de la ciudad. bss:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful place! Thanks for sharing! I can imagine how much you must miss the sea, you just can't compare it to a lake! Good luck with the move, I am thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ay qué recuerdos y qué imágenes me vienen a la memoria! Hace casi un año de la última vez que estuve en Garachico...
    A dónde te mudas ahora? :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The past few weeks must have been really busy. I hope you had a much needed break before starting a new move.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!
I appreaciate your love and reactions.
I'll take a look at your blogs and I'll try to reply as soon as possible
Feel free to follow if you like :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...