Sunday, June 15, 2014

Photowalk: Phoenix Park

Looking for a room in Dublin was not an easy task, especially taking into account that I wanted to move in less than a week time since I arrived to Dublin. After seeing a handfull of tiny and overpriced rooms, both in the city centre and the outskirts, I found a pretty and spacious room and moved last weekend. Commuting takes me one hour one way, so I spend two hours a day on a bus; the room is actually quite cold and the internet connection is far from ok. But these are the kind of details you only notice once you're settled in. What I did noticed was the nice location of the house, not far from the city centre and just around the corner from Phoenix Park, Dublin's largest park. And with the amazing weather so far, it is just too nice to go out for a long walk after work or first thing in the morning during the weekends. Right now, I think that outweights all the cons of the house - ask me in a couple of months and I might be already looking for another room because I'm done with long commutings.


Phoenix Park is one of the largest city parks in the world, apparently even larger than NY's Central Park. It is located on the west corner of Dublin city centre and it can be easily reached by bus or tram. Its more than 700 hectares of greenery are home to the US Ambassador and the president of Ireland. Other furry residents of Phoenix Park include the hundreds of deer of a herd that has been populating the park since the 17th century and the animals of Dublin Zoo, one of the oldest in Europe. Several other monuments, among them Ashtown Castle, are some of the sights which can be found in Phoenix Park. In the summer it is the perfect location for a picnic al fresco and there are several festivals taking place there. It is also a wonderful place to exercise outdoors, as there are many jogging paths and also rugby, football, cricket and even polo fields.

Phoenix Park, Dublin

Phoenix Park, Dublin

Phoenix Park, Dublin

Phoenix Park, Dublin

More than a single park, Phoenix Park is an amalgam of many different gardens and green spaces. It is really huge - the first day I visited I walked for more than two hours and barely made it to the centre of the park. The park is crisscrossed by lanes, so you can also drive to the spot you want to see and park nearby and there is also the possibility of hopping on and off the Phoenix Park Shuttle Bus. But even then, you can walk away as much as you can from the cars and buses and find yourself surrounded only by nature and that's what I like most about it. So, if you ever find yourself in Dublin with some extra time and a good dosis of nice weather, Phoenix Park is well worth a visit.

Phoenix Park, Dublin

Phoenix Park, Dublin

Phoenix Park, Dublin

Phoenix Park, Dublin

Phoenix Park, Dublin

Phoenix Park, Dublin

Phoenix Park, Dublin

Thank you for all your meaningful comments.

Have a lovely Sunday!

6 comments:

  1. Such a lovely park! Thanks for sharing the pictures! I love all the deer! And I am happy you finished moving and I hope you can settle in and feel home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the huge open space and lots of green. Wow, bigger than Central Park. I can imagine spending one full day there especially this summer. It's such a great thing to live close to a park like this. Hope you're adjusting well over there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, this sounds lovely. This is your back garden? You'd get no complaints from me. I'm surprised at how much you know about your surroundings and this park. You must really do your research! I have lived in the same place for 15 years and know next to nothing about where I live. Ignorant of me, I know. Hope the move to Ireland went smoothly and I hope you settle in well. The commuting sounds like a bore but if you can think of something useful to do on the journeys to and from (blogging? maybe?) you might be able to put up with it! Rosemary x

    rosemaryofelephants.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also I am SO jealous if you get to see that baby elephant. The last three zoos I went to had no elephants whatsoever and I was left disappointed. We are probably doing another zoo visit this summer but I already know this zoo has no elephants. ARGH. You lucky, lucky girl! Have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Me encanta vivir cerca de un parque... cuando hace buen tiempo, un paseo por zonas verdes le da la vuelta al peor de los días!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Phoenix Park is absolutely gorgeous! I love the landscape and monuments. So breathtaking! Sorry about your lengthy commute Irene. But you have lovely surroundings. Once you really get settled, you can always move. Keep things lite in your place, so you won't have much stuff.
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!
I appreaciate your love and reactions.
I'll take a look at your blogs and I'll try to reply as soon as possible
Feel free to follow if you like :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...