Wednesday, July 2, 2014

A month in Dublin


A month ago I landed at Dublin airport ready to take up one of the biggest challenges in my life, both personally and professionally. I came here for the long haul with only one big suitcase and not really knowing what to expect. What I knew about Dublin was close to nothing as I had only been here before for three days in February, when I came for a job interview. Little did I know that my first trip to Ireland would change my life drastically and see me coming back to the Emerald Isle sooner than expected and now a month has already gone. That's thirty days living in Dublin, thirty days without seeing Boyfriend, thirty days facing the unknown and trying to get used to this new reality. And despite the odds, I'm quite liking it.

If you have read some of my first posts on Dublin back then (like this and this) you probably know that I left the Irish capital with a bit of a crush. Dublin was gorgeous! And lovely. And all that in the middle of the winter, so just picture how lovelier this city can get when the sun shines, in a very unusual fashion, day after day. During this past month here, my infatuation for Dublin has only grown and everyday I try to get to know this city a little bit better. And the more I know it, the more I like it. 

During the past month I have walked the pretty streets of the city centre endless times, I have marvelled at the gorgeous architecture and outstanding historical buildings, I have made my way to the coast and enjoyed the sights of the bay of Dublin and the Howth peninsula, I have learned a thing or two at some of the interesting museums in Dublin, I have had a hard time controling myself when window shopping in town and I have soaked up the sun in a handful of parks. Yeah, life in Dublin can be that good, especially when the sun shines and I can have lunch sitting on the lawn nearby the office with some colleagues. Oh, and let's not forget about the people. I'm sure you've heard all the topics about the amiability and hospitality of the Irish folk. Well, let me tell you that there's nothing cliché about it, everyone around here is that friendly and welcoming.

Of course, nothing is perfect, we all know that, and this isn't a flawless adventure either. There is the one-hour commuting, the terribly cold room, the non-reliable internet connection and, oh, the long distance relationship. But if you ask me exclusively about Dublin right now, I can only complain about the tap water and its awful taste - sorry, I think it's terrible and I'm aware that I am not drinking enough water since I moved to Ireland. Maybe that's the reason why Irish people drink so much tea. But that love for tea is just another wonderful thing about Dublin.

Have you ever been to Dublin? Love it or love it?
Any recommendation to do and to see in the city?

Have a lovely Wednesday!

5 comments:

  1. hey irene! i'm so happy to hear from you. i'm in cincinnati, oh for an extended stay and then I may be traveling to memphis, tennessee. so i'm limited with wi-fi and on the road. i'm just catching up with your posts. i'm so glad you love your new job and surroundings. every place has it's quirks, but for the most part you love it. that's good! keep in touch and continue to explore.
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember the first time you did a post about Dublin, yes, it was in February, I loved it. I have never been there and I found it very interesting because of all the things you told us about this city. I am glad hearing that you have spent a lovely month in there and I hope you can rejoin with your boyfriend soon . Kisses:)
    This picture is very emblematic of Dublin, who doesn´t know Guinness brewery? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad to hear that you are adjusting. I am especially sorry about the cold room though. That must be horrible. I hope that your next months in Dublin will be nothing but wonderful and that you will be able to see your boyfriend soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good to hear from you! That cold room sounds terrible. :( You seem to be really good at exploring and focusing on the positive, so that's great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I spent a year living in Dublin while I got my master's degree. I loved every second of it and miss it dearly!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!
I appreaciate your love and reactions.
I'll take a look at your blogs and I'll try to reply as soon as possible
Feel free to follow if you like :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...