Monday, September 1, 2014

That was a weird day

The funniest things can happen in Ireland. Like that time I was waiting for the bus and a man approached me and asked if I was Spanish or Italian and then told me the story of his life, which basically was something along the lines of him making the resolution of learning a new language for the new millennium, him actually learning Spanish and eventually moving to somewhere in Catalonia to teach English and have much fun doing paragliding or whatever, him coming back to Ireland but missing Spain a lot. He even had a joke to tell in Spanish. I wondered what story he would have told me, had I said I was Italian. Anyway, that didn't happen on that day.

It all started in the morning, when I poured some boiling water on my hand when preparing my morning tea. Oh, did it burn. My hand was hurting all morning and sometimes even the still air would make my hand sore. That day was rather hectic at work and I went for lunch a bit later than usual. I was chatting with some colleagues I had never talked to before and just before returning to my desk the cook came to compliment me on my hair. 'Oh, it looks lovely. Did you straighten it yourself?'. 'Ehm, yes, thank you!'. Later, the girls explained that he has a thing for hairs and hadn't he been a cook, he would've trained as a hairdresser. I had to do some overtime but when I finally went home I turned on my laptop and looked for flights to Switzerland for a long weekend. I was going to book them separately and after booking a ticket from Dublin to Basel my laptop decided it was about time to stop working. And there I was, with a one-way ticket to Switzerland and no laptop to book my return ticket.

And that's the story of how my laptop finally powered off. After eight years and five countries, my laptop and I parted ways. He was a good laptop but I could see this coming for a long time. It was years since he started making a terrible noise and for that I nicknamed him 'the helicopter'. Seriously, it was so bad that when I once had an interview via Skype my interviewer asked if I was living near an airport. But he was a good laptop. I asked to live at least until I finished writing my master thesis last summer and he survived for even another year after that. It is not going to be easy to replace him, I don't even know where to start looking (any suggestions?).

That's one of the reasons why this space has been so quiet during the summer. However, it wouldn't fair to blame it all on my laptop. I've been quite busy in the last weeks, out and about. Either Boyfriend was here or I was there; either I was daytriping outside Dublin or staying in Dublin for summer bbqs; and I even spent some quality time with a childhood friend who booked a family holiday in Dublin. So, yes, I've had a good summer and all that resulted in an impromptu blogacation (blog+vacation, you know). I have quite a few stories to tell you but I have to figure out how to continue blogging until I get a new laptop. Maybe I should give mobile blogging a go and see what happens, though I'm afraid my posts will be more talk and less pics. Or maybe I should blog less until I get myself another laptop and can edit photos again. I will see. Do you have any tips to blog from mobile devices? How do you organize your blogging?

Have a lovely week, y'all!

5 comments:

  1. 8 years! I'd say you got your money's worth on that one! :) My laptop is 6 years old now and powers off on its own if I've been using it for too long. I'm just hoping it lasts until next summer when we're in the US and I can do a little shopping for a new one. I wish I had some advice to offer you, but it's been so long since I've bought one myself that I'm sure I'd be no help!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow, 8 years! that is a long time. I have a feeling that my laptop will start giving me even more problems soon too. I hope you can get a new one soon! And I am glad you are enjoying your summer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ajajj, qué curiosa la primera anécdota que nos cuentas! para que luego digan que la gente del norte de Europa es más "fría" y no les gusta entablar conversación. Por cierto, mi portátil va a cumplir 6 años y este verano también me ha dado un par de sustos( se apaga cuando quiere)pero claro...le meto unas palizas desde que me levanto hasta que me acuesto está todo el día encendido viendo series y películas y no sé yo si me aguantará para Reyes,ejejej Yo no sin ordenador estoy perdida, en el móvil no me apañaría igual para hacer una entrada. Bss, Irene:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Irene! You've been through a lot! Sorry about your hand and laptop! Mine is old too, so I need to start researching them also. When you get use to one, you don't want to let it go. Please tell us what you get. Otherwise I'm glad you're doing well. I read blogs via bloglovin since I've been away (by cell phone). It takes awhile because it's more tedious. Since I do beauty reviews my posts require pictures. So I type what I want to say on my cell phone in notes, copy & paste to the blogger app and then log onto blogger on my laptop to add the pictures. It cuts down on time (wifi) used on my laptop. Hope you find the right solution for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry but I couldn't help smiling while reading the events as you narrated them. Saying goodbye to a laptop is not easy because you've been through a lot together and there's so much history there. The one I'm using is the third one (which is an office junk laptop bound to be discarded that I salvaged) in that last 11 years so 8 years is incredibly great! I suppose you now have a return ticket? Having someone out of the blue tell their life story just like that can be quite interesting.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!
I appreaciate your love and reactions.
I'll take a look at your blogs and I'll try to reply as soon as possible
Feel free to follow if you like :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...