Saturday, June 27, 2015

Read the World {June 2015}

In January 2015 I decided to take up the worldly challenge of reading a book related to each and every country on Earth and I thought it would be a good idea of to keep track of my progress with a monthly entry on my blog. So come back the last Saturday of (almost) every month to see what I've been up to in the reading department.



US - Wild (Cheryl Strayed)





"It was my life - like all lives, mysterious and irrevocable and sacred. So very close, so very present, so very belonging to me.
How wild it was, to let it be."


I finished reading Wild last month and it took me quite a while to get through the 300ish pages of the book. I have to admit that, though I wanted to like it I have mixed feelings about the story and its main character/author. The book was recommended by Katarina of Kate Goes Global (another great blogger from Tenerife who also started her expat journey in Switzerland and is currently planning to walk the Camino the Santiago - how cool is that?) and a bit discouraged by this review by Frankie of As The Bird Flies. Anyway, with the movie out last year, I wanted to know what the hype was all about.

Cheryl Strayed recounts her misadventures as she hikes the Pacific Crest Trail on her own on summer. And as appealing an adventure it sounds, to leave everything behind to hike along the US west coast for two months, I wondered what kind of person would actually have the courage - or madness - to take over such an impressive journey. I found out as soon as I started reading Wild. Someone like Strayed, who came from a non-traditional family, had an unconventional childhood and adolescence and her most of her life choices until the PCT journey were totally unfortunate.

With the image of a rather weird and quite irresponsible Strayed painted in my mind I found it hard to empathise with her or find anything of interest in her pages. However, halfway through the book, as Strayed finally started to get herself together I also started to find some value in her words and experiences. I was finally able to understand her quest and enjoy her book. And I would even recommend it but beware, you may find Strayed unbearable for more than half of the journey.

Besides her thoughts on motherhood, which totally resonated with me due to my personal circumstances (thank you, hormones), I found her closing words, which I quoted above, very true. Yes, this is my life, so very close, so very present and so very belonging to me. And it is so wild to just let it be.


Have you read Wild? What are your thoughts on it?
Any book recommendation about the US?

Have a lovely weekend!


P.s. in case you're wondering what I've been up to in the last months I'll be back tomorrow with a quick update.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!
I appreaciate your love and reactions.
I'll take a look at your blogs and I'll try to reply as soon as possible
Feel free to follow if you like :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...